Retro Raleigh MTB

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Alembicbassman

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
Hehe :smile: All the old bits I took off got £37 on fleabay. Take off my fees and it works out at about £30, that's £10 more than I paid for the whole bike.

So I got the frame for minus £10 :smile:

Here's the latest Pic with wheels on and brakes wired up

Attachments

• DSC_0044.JPG
    DSC_0044.JPG
    141.9 KB · Views: 195
OP
OP
Alembicbassman

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
Nearly done.

Just a few adjustments, mainly to the canti brakes which are scarily bad at the moment. Will trim off the cables when I'm happy with them.

Attachments

• P1010901.JPG
    P1010901.JPG
    144.7 KB · Views: 289

tomr666

i have one of these. i got it from the dump for £2 (good find me thinks :smile:). the gears (the shifters just got adapted) needed replacing and same with the chain. i also had to fit a seat. and that was it.

tomr666

i have one of these. i got it from the dump for £2 (good find me thinks :smile:). the gears (the shifters just got adapted) needed replacing and same with the chain. i also had to fit a seat. and that was it.
added 8 speed at the back now and new frount mech. it still looks bad though :L nearly sold it last week for £100 but i got let down. i'll probs now do a total refurb and use it to get to college every day. i think keeping the gears will be a great idea for this...what does everyone else think??? :bicycle:

Well this is a very useful thread!!! I bought the same bike at a car boot for £7!!! I'm also going to do a SS. I was going to sell it on but it's a really nice ride to it's a keeper!!! I'll chuck some pics on once I've worked out how to on here!!!

alfie155

hi Alembicbassman
i just bought the exact same bike myself today.
i had one myself new at the age of 13 (back at chrismas 1994), it was my childhood pride and joy! i remember my mum and dad bought it me as chrismas presant! i also remember it comming from halfords with the price tag of £225 back then! unfortinatly it got pinched in 1999:angry:

anyway i collected it today, pleased to say it looks pretty tidy for its age and is all origanal, tho i think it is in need of a new right hand side gear selector? its the shimano alivio flicker style selector but its pretty unique with a yellow clock dial affect, and i cant find one anywere! do you still have yours?

OP
OP
Alembicbassman

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
I sold all the parts to pay for the singlespeed bits. Mine was all Altus with underbar rapid fire thumb shifters.

If it's got an Altus CT90 compact crankset these were recalled due to fatigue failures of the crank arms. Best to change this.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Looks very nice, well worth the time and effort to restore it. Saw a similar Dawes Cougar on the bay recently with a full 531 MTB frame which went for sixty quid. These old mountain bikes are a solid proposition and not much sought after, yet!

Top Bottom