Revamping a Claud Butler Majestic

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Phil.Payne

Hey,

I have just started cycling again and am looking to revamp my dad's Claud Butler which is prob nearly 20 years old (frame in good condition but needs a lot of work:

-needs new inners and tires, (would I need to change the wheels themselves?)
-one of the gear wires has snapped so need to replace that
-handle bars are the old type (with gears on the frame) I need to re-cover the handle bars but would it be worth getting new handle bars with the gears attached to them (is it expensive?)
-new breaks may be needed but not sure about the lines.

I suppose my questions are, how do I go about doing these things (any good internet sites or bike shops for Claud Butlers or racing bkes in general) and how much can I do without ruining anything as I'd like to do as much as possible myself!!

Thanks for any help,

Phil

killiekosmos

Veteran
Go slow and steady.

fit new tubes and tyres, replace the broken cable, put new tape on the bars, so it looks like this:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/nkilgariff/CBcats/Cat_77/CB_Cycles.htm

One you've got it roadworthy you can decide what else to do. It might look great restored to original condition.

Replacing handlebars and fitting STI levers could be expensive (check out prices on-line) and you may also need to replace more components (cassette etc).

Good luck

Is it light blue metalic? I'm guessing its a five or six speed screw-on freewheel with friction shifters and a 126mm OLND (Over Lock Nut Dimension/ rear frame width). There are no integrated shifters (STI/ Ergo) which will work with your set-up. They are often the most expensive part of a new bike apart from the frame for starters, but to make them work on your bike would require you to purchase a new rear wheel, cassette, chain and rear mech and to have your rear end re-spaced to accept a modern rear wheel. Even then the new narrow chain is unlikely to run on your old fat chainrings. If you have an olde skoole chainset (Majestics had Stronglight 49D chainsets twenty years ago if I remember) or non replaceable rings you wont find narrow chainrings so will require a new chainset.

The cost of that little lot is easily enough to buy quite a nice new bike.

An easier option would be to install bar-end shifters. Make sure you buy the type which have a friction mode, non of the indexed standards available are likely to work with your set up.

At a guess the frame will be Reynolds 531 steel alloy( there should be a 531 transfer on the frame).This alloy dates back to the 30's and ruled the roost until the 80's and the advent of aluminium,carbon etc which are as strong yet much lighter.

Personally I would either restore it to its original spec (beware the price for retro bits ain't cheap) or get a more modern frame which will make your cycling more enjoyable.

Randochap

Senior hunter
Lucky you!

You'd have to go far to find a new off-the-peg bike that rides as nicely as classic Reynolds 531, assembled by the hands of an expert frame builder.

If it's been kept well, you should be able to restore it to its former glory.

Here's the Claud Butler page from Classic Rendevous, which also has tips on restoration.

Depending where you are, you should have no problems finding parts.

Here's a couple of sites dedicated to bike love and care:

And of course ...

PpPete

Legendary Member
New tyres & tubes, new cables (inners & outers) throughout (not just the broken one) maybe new handle bar tape.

Ride it.

Ride it some more.

If you like it - you can decide to do more later.
But beware you can easily spend more than the original purchase cost....
On the other hand you may feel it's worth it, because as Randochap says
a classic 531 frame can be very close to perfection.

Here is what I did with my Dawes Galaxy (similar to Majestic IIRC) - I've since sorted the mudguards, changed gear shifters from friction to index, when I finally find the right saddle that will all add up to significantly more than the original price from 20 years ago..... but I love it. It will never be replaced by aluminium or carbon. Titanium maybe, but only in my dreams.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Phil.Payne said:
Hey,

I have just started cycling again and am looking to revamp my dad's Claud Butler which is prob nearly 20 years old (frame in good condition but needs a lot of work:

-needs new inners and tires, (would I need to change the wheels themselves? No reason to suppose so, unless they're bent.)
-one of the gear wires has snapped so need to replace that Pennies, and really easy to do. While you're at it, run oil down inside the cable housing of both gear and both brake cables - the 'tube' they run thru'.
-handle bars are the old type (with gears on the frame) I need to re-cover the handle bars but would it be worth getting new handle bars with the gears attached to them Almost certainly not. (is it expensive? Yes.)
-new breaks may be needed Probably not. You might need to oil where bits rub against each other. but not sure about the lines.

I suppose my questions are, how do I go about doing these things (any good internet sites or bike shops for Claud Butlers or racing bkes in general) and how much can I do without ruining anything as I'd like to do as much as possible myself!!

Thanks for any help,

Phil

Hi Phil

You can do all that for yourself, very easily, with the most basic tools, in a couple of hours. And you'll probably end up with a really nice bike (a 20 yr old CB is a v good starting point) for peanuts. Check ebay for thing like tubes and tyres if you want to save money.

Good luck! Oh, and take a look at www.bicycletutor.com.

jimboalee

killiekosmos said:
Go slow and steady.

fit new tubes and tyres, replace the broken cable, put new tape on the bars, so it looks like this:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/nkilgariff/CBcats/Cat_77/CB_Cycles.htm

One you've got it roadworthy you can decide what else to do. It might look great restored to original condition.

Replacing handlebars and fitting STI levers could be expensive (check out prices on-line) and you may also need to replace more components (cassette etc).

Good luck

Take note. Read the info on the Majestic. Get the "531 main frame tubes". This means the three main tubes are 531. The headtube and rear triangle are Hi-Ten. Pug called it "trois tubes renforces".

If it were my bike, I'd be at the next cycle jumble looking for original bits.

27 x 1 1/4 HP rims, I'll bet.

Fantastic.

Top Bottom