Reviving dull paintwork

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Percy

Hi all

Am in the process of completely renovating an old steel framed tourer I have been given. It's had little use and is in reasonable nick, so just cleaning and re-lubing the main jobs (as well as new cables etc). The paintwork is pretty decent (no big scratches or chips) but is a little worn/dull in places, presumably through age and use. I don't want to repaint it - it doesn't need that and I'm not that bothered about it looking *perfect* - but I would like to get it looking a little smarter.

Any tips for buffing up dull paintwork in a relatively easy and cost effective manner?

Cheers

Percy

C

chillyuk

T-cut works on cars so ought to work on a bike. Worth a try.

Globalti

Legendary Member
T Cut is a very coarse aggressive abrasive and will take the oxidised top layer off the paint, but it will leave it completely stripped of any protective wax so part 2 is a really good buff with car polish. The longer you polish it the better it will look as the polish will take out the scratches left by the T Cut.

martyp

Hi all

Am in the process of completely renovating an old steel framed tourer I have been given. It's had little use and is in reasonable nick, so just cleaning and re-lubing the main jobs (as well as new cables etc). The paintwork is pretty decent (no big scratches or chips) but is a little worn/dull in places, presumably through age and use. I don't want to repaint it - it doesn't need that and I'm not that bothered about it looking *perfect* - but I would like to get it looking a little smarter.

Any tips for buffing up dull paintwork in a relatively easy and cost effective manner?

Cheers

Percy

I find Autoglym super resin polish very good....gentle to the paint yet removes the built in grime and leaves a nice smooth finish. Follow up with some good carnauba car wax.

battered

Guru
I'd try a car wax before anything as aggressive as T cut. I've recently bought an old car and it came with VERY faded paint. More in hope than expectation I gave it a quick polish with a bit of wax polish that was lying around. It looks great.

Top Bottom