Reward for possibly my favourite commute of the year

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TimP

OK, some things take a bit of time to come around, but my commute on the first of February this year looked rather like this (I commute on the North Downs), my bike isn't leaning against anything (merely planted in the snow) in either picture:

3249657739_45fee17248.jpg

3249651731_8ab06573c0.jpg

There has been a company edict that there should be some recognition for some of the journey's made that day (not a lot of the 2000 people who work in the office made it in). I now have vouchers to spend in M&S. I don't believe they sell studded snow tyres.

Yay!

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
M&S dont sell tyres but they do sell some nice grub. :sun: Well done!

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
No! spend it on food and drink! (in reverse order of priority there)

A shirt from M&S is hardly an adequate reward for commuting in the snow.

thomas

the tank engine
palinurus said:
No! spend it on food and drink! (in reverse order of priority there)

A shirt from M&S is hardly an adequate reward for commuting in the snow.

What about a very nice floral shirt : )

I think I'd go for some alchoool myself....or buy expensive lunches every day and waft the lovely smell throughout the office (I can recommend their meatball spaghetti dish!).

garrilla

I believe that M&S vouchers are almost an exchange currency. Sell them to a friend or relative and buy bike stuff.

PBancroft

You say vouchers, but you don't say how much.

Whatever it is, I reckon your "reward" for that commute was the commute itself - very few of your colleagues had anywhere near the experience you did.

Woz!

How far is your commute if you don't mind me asking?
I'm on the verge of selling my car but I'm concerned about the 26 mile round-trip in winter.

OP
OP
T

TimP

When the snow dumped I was going out that day, and by bike to get a bit more range. Dropping into office the meant a pleasant set of coutry lanes and views from the Downs. A significant number of the others who made it in were contractors, they felt suitably rewarded with a day's pay at contractor rates.

My commute is about a 13 mile round-trip, so half of yours, mind you it isn't flat. Commuting in winter isn't much worse, it becomes a habit, get the kit for cold weather, lights and waterproofs. Though you would need a means of getting your kit dried for the return journey.

26 miles each day every day without an alternative is generally considered a bit extreme. Even by the oddballs who inhabit cycle forums.

Woz!

TimP said:
When the snow dumped I was going out that day, and by bike to get a bit more range. Dropping into office the meant a pleasant set of coutry lanes and views from the Downs. A significant number of the others who made it in were contractors, they felt suitably rewarded with a day's pay at contractor rates.

My commute is about a 13 mile round-trip, so half of yours, mind you it isn't flat. Commuting in winter isn't much worse, it becomes a habit, get the kit for cold weather, lights and waterproofs. Though you would need a means of getting your kit dried for the return journey.

26 miles each day every day without an alternative is generally considered a bit extreme. Even by the oddballs who inhabit cycle forums.

Cheers for the info.
Mine's not that flat unfortunately :rolleyes:
We have a shower at work, so I can change. The kit being damp on the return journey hasn't been an issue so far but I can see it being a biggie in the cold!
Been doing it 2.5 weeks so far.

Plax

Guru
Well done, always nice to get a bit of recognition.
I had a week off when it snowed, so I didn't have to bother trying to dig the car out the drive. If I had to go to work I think I would have walked the 4 miles like I did the last time.
I took the bike out for a little spin in the snow though. Had to push it up the road as they don't grit down my road and all the cars couldn't get up it (they did try, making a right racket wheel spinning, woke me up!). My back wheel couldn't get any grip either and the snow was too deep. The high street wasn't too bad though. I had a little ride down it, staying in the slushy bits the cars had been on. I found it too difficult to cycle through the fresh snow and the compacted snow was like an ice rink. Great fun, but found that I got a lot of ice compacting round the brake bads and in the jockey wheels.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Snow day was great. First day I was up early and charging around in the park in the fresh snow before I started my commute.

Second day I got to work only to find the site closed. The sensible types had phoned ahead. I got my commute in without having to work in between so I was happy.

Cross bike, nice soft tyres. Seemed to do the trick.

Top Bottom