REYNOLDS numbers what do they mean?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

midlife

Guru
Absolutely brilliant frame / bike you have there.......I wish it was mine :smile:

Pound to a penny it's 531 pro or DS if it was around then...

Saluki

World class procrastinator
OK and that is all exceptionally interesting news for me.

My next question is this: -
I recently bought a very light and stiff steel framed bike off Bigssy, it is branded as being a Shorter as in Shorter Rochford, it is beautiful, however it doesn't have any decals which suggest the origin of the frame material.

So apart from Reynolds 531 or similar and bearing in mind that this bike is arguably late 70's early 80's (but in total honesty who knows?), but bearing in mind the company Shorter & Rochford, what type of frame material are they likely to have used in the building of their own frames?
I was giving that some serious thought but reckoned that it would be a smidge too big for me really.

OP
OP
buzzy-beans

buzzy-beans

Über Member
Absolutely brilliant frame / bike you have there.......I wish it was mine :smile:

Pound to a penny it's 531 pro or DS if it was around then...

Quite amazingly I have only ridden this magnificent little beauty when I went down to see it for the first time at Chateau Bigssy and only then for about a mile or so around his road square, despite having ridden some amazing bikes in my youth some of which are quite distinct and fondly held memories, I can't recall ever being sat on a bike that has taken such little effort to make it move........... A gorgeous experience indeed!

I will be making contact with Shorter & Rochford with the frame number to see if they have any records, I will also contact Reynolds to see if they will be willing to send me out some correct frame transfers.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Quite amazingly I have only ridden this magnificent little beauty when I went down to see it for the first time at Chateau Bigssy and only then for about a mile or so around his road square, despite having ridden some amazing bikes in my youth some of which are quite distinct and fondly held memories, I can't recall ever being sat on a bike that has taken such little effort to make it move........... A gorgeous experience indeed!

I will be making contact with Shorter & Rochford with the frame number to see if they have any records, I will also contact Reynolds to see if they will be willing to send me out some correct frame transfers.
I would be interested to know how you get on with Reynolds, asking for the frame transfers. I would like to get some for my bike too.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Some builders didn't bother with the tubing decal as they mixed and matched tubesets for each frame. You can have a reasonable stab at the tubing type from the bare weight of the frame and the seatpost size.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Last edited:

midlife

Guru
I would be interested to know how you get on with Reynolds, asking for the frame transfers. I would like to get some for my bike too.

Reynolds should supply you with the more modern decals but I think they transferred copyright of the older decals to H Lloyd (as was, but still trades under the same name).

OP
OP
buzzy-beans

buzzy-beans

Über Member

I don't know about getting them from Reynolds yet, but I have found that h-lloyd website-shop sell them as all of the old stocks from Reynolds was sold to them some years ago, so if you can identify the age related design....
https://h-lloyd-cycles.myshopify.com/collections/reynolds

classic33

Leg End Member
Vintage seems now often to mean any bike old enough to be accepted in the main Eroica category, which I think is 1987 or before.
Vintage or not. Who decides?

Top Bottom