Ribble bike build.....your input welcome please.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
@Pale Rider is knowledgeable about the different e bike power systems

Stem and bars will depend on what you find comfortable...I don’t like very wide flat bars but you might. Bar ends or at least ergo grips are better IMO (but you may like round ones). An adjustable stem might allow you to play a bit with bar height. Ribble should advise but a bike with a longer head tube might be better than a more racy lower front. (:Although there’s really only one frame design, they all look fairly low).
Do you have a flatbar at the moment to compare the geometry (a Whyte?)

if you want to avoid punctures and don’t mind heavy and sluggish, marathon plus are the way to go probably (just get someone else to fit).
You may want to switch to different tyres for gravelly tracks tho (I found M+ very slippery if pumped up to the psi suggested for my weight)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
@Pale Rider is knowledgeable about the different e bike power systems

Stem and bars will depend on what you find comfortable...I don’t like very wide flat bars but you might. Bar ends or at least ergo grips are better IMO (but you may like round ones). An adjustable stem might allow you to play a bit with bar height. Ribble should advise but a bike with a longer head tube might be better than a more racy lower front. (:Although there’s really only one frame design, they all look fairly low).
Do you have a flatbar at the moment to compare the geometry (a Whyte?)

if you want to avoid punctures and don’t mind heavy and sluggish, marathon plus are the way to go probably (just get someone else to fit).
You may want to switch to different tyres for gravelly tracks tho (I found M+ very slippery if pumped up to the psi suggested for my weight)
Gave the Whyte to my son some time ago as I thought I would not cycle again.
Bar ends.......yes yes yes.
I had Marathon+ on a bike and found them ok. Also had gator skins which seemed fine.
I am thinking of some "swept back" bars (if that's the term).
Re the power system.....at the moment it looks like the Ribble at the moment.

vickster

Legendary Member
Gave the Whyte to my son some time ago as I thought I would not cycle again.
Bar ends.......yes yes yes.
I had Marathon+ on a bike and found them ok. Also had gator skins which seemed fine.
I am thinking of some "swept back" bars (if that's the term).
Re the power system.....at the moment it looks like the Ribble at the moment.
Even if you don’t have the Whyte, you can still compare the geometry (seek online)

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Thanks @vickster - looks like Dave will be going for the Ribble with the Ebikemotion hub motor.

Raising the bars tends to aid comfort, particularly for older cyclists.

The blue chip solution is a Speedlifter, which effectively creates up and down adjustment controlled by a quick release - a sort of seat post for the bars.

The advantage is you are not limited to one height as you would be with a much cheaper stem riser/extender

You can take a little time to establish your preferred height then leave it set, but I found it was sometimes handy to move the bars during a long ride to ease some aches.

Looks like Dave is already looking at swept back bars, which is another option, and he could also get some rise in those.

The Speedlifter also allows the angle of the bars to be set which might obviate the need for swept ones.

It also has a twist function, which some find handy for storing the bike because it allows you to turn the bars parallel with the top tube.

A basic riser is cheaper and simpler, although some are not very well made.

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Schulz-Speedlifter-twist-Lenkerverstellung-Size/dp/B078N78RMR/ref=rtpb_3?pd_rd_w=5sH7g&pf_rd_p=5a5e3976-5d4e-46fd-b875-6aae78355b0a&pf_rd_r=W52M0P7X2DC6QFV97W1E&pd_rd_r=0a9f18e0-cd56-4abb-9b63-f0f405554d77&pd_rd_wg=ti5pe&pd_rd_i=B07HT9XNMV&psc=1

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Raleigh-Ha...zAN-1YBbympWqlpVvvyth077c24uEXqxoCqGAQAvD_BwE

Last edited:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
It comes with regular Marathons or Schwalbe G1s, The G1s will have a bit more grip on off road surfaces, and they wont be much of a compromise for the road. The amber wall will look smart with the copper..

If you want the bars up higher for less cost than above you can get higher degree stem and flip it - stem isnt customisable so that's an after purhcase decision anyway.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Thanks @vickster - looks like Dave will be going for the Ribble with the Ebikemotion hub motor.

Raising the bars tends to aid comfort, particularly for older cyclists.

The blue chip solution is a Speedlifter, which effectively creates up and down adjustment controlled by a quick release - a sort of seat post for the bars.

The advantage is you are not limited to one height as you would be with a much cheaper stem riser/extender

You can take a little time to establish your preferred height then leave it set, but I found it was sometimes handy to move the bars during a long ride to ease some aches.

Looks like Dave is already looking at swept back bars, which is another option, and he could also get some rise in those.

The Speedlifter also allows the angle of the bars to be set which might obviate the need for swept ones.

It also has a twist function, which some find handy for storing the bike because it allows you to turn the bars parallel with the top tube.

A basic riser is cheaper and simpler, although some are not very well made.

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Schulz-Speedlifter-twist-Lenkerverstellung-Size/dp/B078N78RMR/ref=rtpb_3?pd_rd_w=5sH7g&pf_rd_p=5a5e3976-5d4e-46fd-b875-6aae78355b0a&pf_rd_r=W52M0P7X2DC6QFV97W1E&pd_rd_r=0a9f18e0-cd56-4abb-9b63-f0f405554d77&pd_rd_wg=ti5pe&pd_rd_i=B07HT9XNMV&psc=1

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Raleigh-Ha...zAN-1YBbympWqlpVvvyth077c24uEXqxoCqGAQAvD_BwE

TBH I have never heard of a 'speedshifter' but it looks excellent.......I will google it.
Thanks.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
TBH I have never heard of a 'speedshifter' but it looks excellent.......I will google it.
Thanks.

Herr Rose used to be the preferred supplier, but they no longer ship to the UK.

The German supplier in the link does, so it proves it can be done.

It's a Speedlifter, not a speedshifter, so make sure you don't end up with the wrong thing.

There is a cheaper Speedlifter Twist, but that only twists, so wouldn't assist you.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I see the basic £20 riser in my link does have spacers, which gives you a choice of lift heights, albeit you couldn't change it on the fly.

Simpler, lighter, and much cheaper solution if you are confident once you've set the height you will be content to leave it.

Top Bottom