Ribble Endurance ALe Sport for commuting - Part 7 - It seems to fail when ridden on very wet roads.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Good morning,

I was getting ready to go home on Thursday evening, so I took it out of the office and it wouldn't turn on. So I took it back inside plugged the charger in and it turned on straight away and the button cycled through the power levels and apart from some light flickering it all seemed fine.

Tried it Sunday morning and again it wouldn't turn on, but as I only have one charger and it lives in the office I couldn't plug it in. Yup I should have stuffed it in my jersey pocket, but it doesn't fit at all well and it was raining so it could have pretty nasty if I fell off.

So I checked the web and there are quite a few posts about this problem with X35 systems in general, sadly the responses all seem to be I've got this problem too, rather than an answer. :laugh:

I have had this problem once before when it was very wet and the problem just disappeared and Thursday was very wet.

So I disconnected the iWoc and eventually re-connected it, there appears to 2mm more cable than is needed to make reconnection impossible! :laugh: and all is well again.

Out of curiosity I undid the plate that covers the wiring around the BB and it is not designed to be even water resistant, it is a plastic to metal join without a gasket and two cutouts for cables.

As you can see so some water gets in and is visible on the cable, what is not obvious is that the charging port is just above the cables when the bike is the right way up and the other photo shows the inside of the plastic cover again showing water ingress.

If I hadn't had problems twice after riding on very wet roads I would have been happy to say, there's not much water and plenty of plastic insulation but it does seem that some part of the system it not sufficently water resistant to allow use on very wet roads.

There was absolutely no sign of water anywhere on the iWoc button or connection, but you never know what the electronics are "thinking", some mode that says the switch is signalling a button press 20 times a second, let's ignore it.

IMG_0010.JPG

IMG_0011.JPG
Bye

Ian

Last edited:
Do you ever think about returning it ?

From your previous posts this e bike doesn't seem to work as I would expect .....

From a non ebike owner though !!!

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Last edited:
Top Bottom