Ribble R872 2013 vs Liv Langma 2018 vs new Boardman SLR 8.9 vs Chinese build vs Other/Wait...?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

aggeliki6

So... I caught the cycling bug at the beginning of autumn and now looking for a bit of an upgrade.

I have been using a fairly old (c. 2009-2012) Giant Defy that I got second-hand for very cheap - aluminium with carbon forks, Sora groupset of the time, with triple 50-39-30 chainrings and a 25-12 cassette. I've seen amazing progress in my performance in the past few months with this bike and it is very comfortable and great for longer rides that I enjoy but would like something lighter and newer, especially when it comes to groupset/gearing. Not sure if it matters, but I am female, very small and light...

Although I would like to dip my toes into racing soon, for the time being I see myself more inclined towards endurance rides and do enjoy climbing. I have been looking at new and second-hand bikes and have come across some interesting ones, but would like some opinions. What I am mainly looking for is carbon frame and 105 (or similar) groupset. Not sure where I stand on disc brakes and whether they should be a firm criterion or not... I can stretch my budget to around £1500 for something very very worthwhile.

Choices are:

- Liv Langma, 2018 model, 105, full carbon, rim brakes, £800 - or £1000 with upgraded Hunt wheels
- Ribble R872, c. 2013 model (that was kept up to 2018 I believe), full carbon, rim brakes, £600
- New Boardman SLR 8.9, 105, full carbon, £1200
- Build something using a Chinese carbon frame with a budget of £1500 for the full build

Upgrading is not urgent so can definitely wait in case something else comes along, which I am sure will, but I am afraid I won't ever make up my mind... Is spending more for something newer worth it or is it preferable to get something older and upgrade wheels/components or fully build my own?

I could also upgrade the Giant... But otherwise plan on keeping it for commuting.

Thank you!

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Don't have the time to go right down the rabbithole re. individual models, however would definitely suggest you go used given the way prices are currently (used cheaper than usual, new very costly).

FWIW I have a 2017 Boadman Team Carbon (the fore-runner to the SLR 8.9, mostly Tiagra) which is very good for what it is and can probably be got used about £400..

Alex321

Veteran
If you like climbing, then you will also be doing quite a bit of coming down hills, and for that I personally would always go for a bike with hydraulic disc brakes. They are much more reliable in wet conditions, and much easier to control the amount of braking.

But you will find many on here who prefer the traditional rim brakes.

In terms of sheer maximum stopping power, in dry conditions, there is little to choose between rim brakes and disc brakes.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
In terms of sheer maximum stopping power, in dry conditions, there is little to choose between rim brakes and disc brakes.
In general that's true but modulation with discs is better and you won't suffer from rims wearing out. Given the choice discs should be your preferred option.

Jameshow

Veteran
In general that's true but modulation with discs is better and you won't suffer from rims wearing out. Given the choice discs should be your preferred option.

I ride rim brakes and save 500gms. I can brake quite adequately tbh, down some of the steepest hills like Norwood edge loaded with camping gear!

Alex321

Veteran

Hat is what I meant by saying "much easier to control the amount of braking". Not everybody necessarily understand the term modulation in that context, although most on here do.

SuffolkBlue

Before the thread disappears down the rim vs disc brake rabbit hole!!

I really liked my Boardman Pro SLR. Boardman frames used to seem to have quite a long top tube for their sizing. I am on the Med/Small borderline and as age is caught up the medium frame was getting a bit of a stretch even with a shorter stem, otherwise I would still have it.

Replaced with this https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXPCDRIV22/planet-x-pro-carbon-disc-sram-rival-22-road-bike which I like just as much ^_^

Planet X often have "sales" so you need to see what price it was at previously but it is 20% off at present and only just outside your price range. Bank holidays are often a time when they'll knock another 10% off.

OP
OP
A

aggeliki6

If you like climbing, then you will also be doing quite a bit of coming down hills, and for that I personally would always go for a bike with hydraulic disc brakes. They are much more reliable in wet conditions, and much easier to control the amount of braking.

But you will find many on here who prefer the traditional rim brakes.

Thank you, exactly why I was wondering whether I should be considering disc brakes. I will try to go for disc vs rim if given the option but probably not an absolute deal breaker still.

Top Bottom