Richard Rogers dies

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
While we're talking about architecture and architects I didn't realise that Owen Luder had also passed away in October.
You might recall he was responsible for many brutalist concrete structures including the 'Get carter' car park and the Tricorn Centre in Portsmouth which Price Charles once described
as a 'mildewed lump of elephant droppings'.
His souless concrete structures were never loved.
He was known as a member of the Rubble Club, having seen many of his own buildings torn down in his lifetime.
Charles wouldn't know a good building if it fell on him.

But christ it'd be great to give him the chance.

Yesterday I happened to be visiting his first major public building, the Sainsbury Centre at UEA. It is always an uplifting experience to be in such an expansive modern building.

View attachment 622849

View attachment 622850
Thats not designed by Rogers, its by his old mate Foster.

OP
OP
Cycleops

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Charles wouldn't know a good building if it fell on him.
I think in this case he might be right.
49604769-10127595-image-a-66_1635154456843.jpg

Luder defended himself by saying steel was in short supply when he designed these concrete structures.

While we're talking about architecture and architects I didn't realise that Owen Luder had also passed away in October.
You might recall he was responsible for many brutalist concrete structures including the 'Get carter' car park and the Tricorn Centre in Portsmouth which Price Charles once described
as a 'mildewed lump of elephant droppings'.
His souless concrete structures were never loved.
He was known as a member of the Rubble Club, having seen many of his own buildings torn down in his lifetime.
Thats an HRH's issue ... subjective by an individual who has lived his life living in Grade I 'classical' houses. His impressive views on the environment are welcomed. His total misunderstand of the arts is not.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Thats an HRH's issue ... subjective by an individual who has lived his life living in Grade I 'classical' houses. His impressive views on the environment are welcomed. His total misunderstand of the arts is not.
Just one word. Poundbury.

Which, tbf is a well-planned community and commands premium prices, but wouldn't it have been nice if HRH had done something of relevance to, well, his poorer soon-to-be subjects.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Hopefully the art displayed at the far end draws smaller crowds ...

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
With Owen Luder, of Brutalist designs, dieing this year, too, we'll be running out of architects soon!

Top Bottom