Ride from Arsenal to Schalke - 4 to 6 November

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

redfalo

known as Olaf in real life
On 6 November, my German football team is going to play my English one in the Champions League. FC Schalke 04 - Arsenal FC in Gelsenkirchen.

I'm planning to ride from the place where I live (Highbury) to the place where I was born (Gelsenkirchen) to see the match.

This is the plan:
- Sunday, 4/11, noon: leave at the Emirates. Cycle to Harwich (75 miles)
- Sunday 4/11: Harwich, 11.15: take the ferry to Hook of Holland (costs: £40 for the ticket, plus £25 to £40 for a cabin)
- Monday 5/11: arrive at Harwich at 7.45am, cycle to Xanten , Germany (125 miles)
- Tuesday 6/11: cycle from Xanten to Gelsenkirchen (40 miles)

Return trip: There are a number of options.
- There are reasonably priced Easyjet flights from Dortmund to Luton.
- BA, Lufthansa and Easyjet also fly from Düsseldorf to London.
- High speed train: You can take the train (Thalys from Cologne to Brussels, then Eurostar back to London). At the moment, Deutsche Bahn has offers for 49 or 69 Euro. However, the catch is that you have to bag your bicycle so that it turns into carry on luggage. (The Thalys unfortunately does NOT carry proper bicycles.) You can also take your Brompton, of course.
- regional train: If you're not able to put you cycle in a bag, you can take regional trains and get back to Hoek of Holland. You have to be patient, though....

I'll stay at my fathers place until Sunday and then take the high speed train back to London.

Tickets for the Schalke game: I cannot guarantee anything, but there might be possibilities.

Anyone interested?

Cheers
Olaf

Top Bottom