England : Cumbria Ride to the Sun 2019 (Carlisle to Edinburgh 100 miles).

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scottish Scrutineer

Über Member
The rail strike shouldn't affect services on the Sunday though (it's a series of 3 x 24 hour strikes on June 21st, 23rd, and 25th). But you just know it will - drivers and trains in the wrong place after the strike on Saturday will be the predictable excuse.

That's what I was anticipating. However, it looks like our friend is coming up from Yorkshire to do it, so probably going to fine for us.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I did this route, but in reverse, last September (we cycled from Edinburgh to London).
It's a great ride with stunning views. The Devils Beeftub is great cycling. A long old climb from Moffat though. Was jolly good fun going the other way.

the_craig

Über Member
hmmmm.... no trains on Sat.... maybe a daft idea, but from my house (North Ayrshire) to Cramond is about the same distance as Carlisle-Cramond. And it's still coast to coast..... and I'm sure if I arrived at Cramond at around 3am on a bike I could blag a beer even though I hadn't come from Carlisle :laugh:

Don't know if I'd want to do the Union Canal path at night though...

I dunno whereabouts in North Ayrshire you are but I'm sure you could engineer a route of sufficient distance that gets you to Moffat for chips, the Crook Inn for a boogie then Cramond for a blagged beer.

the_craig

Über Member
So I'm getting to the stage where I'm keeping a close eye on the weather for the weekend.

Looks like its going to be mild with some showers overnight. 17C at the start of the evening dropping down to around 9C with, are you ready for this, a 16 - 20kph tailwind!

I've got my to do list already to be done over the next few days before heading down the M74 to Carlisle.

Who's with me??

the_craig

Über Member
Yeah, what a night!

Took me all of yesterday to get over it. The weather was wild at the Devil's Beef Tub. I got caught in it on the way down. The rain was unbelievable and the wind was really strong. It was a really sketchy descent. Then we had a flash of lightning which lit up the entire valley followed by a rumble of thunder. Some of the worst conditions I've ridden a bike in. Thankfully, I met a fella from Dumfries and we kept each other company all the way down. Despite my rain cape, I was soaked to the skin. I was in a bit of a mess at the Crook Inn; Freezing cold and shivering. I quickly ate a banana, a gel and pedalled to keep warm.

the_craig

Über Member
@Brandane You'll have to change the title of the thread.

Next year's ride is on Saturday 24th June 2023. I've already marked it in the diary and I'm looking at logistics for next year. Trying to convince a few cycling minded buddies that this would be the perfect imperial ton for them.

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
@Brandane You'll have to change the title of the thread.

Next year's ride is on Saturday 24th June 2023. I've already marked it in the diary and I'm looking at logistics for next year. Trying to convince a few cycling minded buddies that this would be the perfect imperial ton for them.

Too late! There must be a time limit on the "edit thread title" option being available. That time limit being a bit less than 3 years :laugh:.

It was a very good night.
Bright and hot in Carlisle for the start.
Quite a lot of cloud cover during the night which was a shame, but it made the top of the Beeftub look quite atmospheric as you lights diffusing in the mistiness of the cloud base. And despite the clouds, the sunrise was visible from Cramond.
The scouts and volunteers at the finish were superb.
Hopefully someone will be along to write a decent ride report.

Top Bottom