Ride with a difference today

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zacklaws

Guru
I went for a 100+ miler today, part of my 3 on the trot, and it was a bit different to usual, instead of near misses with cars and HGV's, of which I had none for a change, I had a couple of different events.

The first, I approached a level crossing with barriers, slowed down and proceeded cautiously, looking left and right, half way across I looked forward and saw the barrier was almost down in front of me and stopped for me with room to pass underneath. I turned round to look at the signal box and saw the operator looking at me so I gave him a wave. Which raises the question, did he see me? or did he not? and if not what if it was a vehicle and he failed to spot it before the train arrived. Perhaps he saw me, and allowed me to cross out of courteousy before dropping them fully before any cars turned up. I looked back after crossing and saw no lights and there was no siren either. Even looking on Google Streetmaps, their is no Lights etc just to confirm that I do not need a trip to Specsavers.

50 miles into the ride, I saw a couple of tethered horse's which meant gypsies somewhere, round the corner, I came across the caravan which meant one thing to me, DOGS and vicious ones. As I got to the caravan, 4 dogs came at me, all intent on eating me, fortuneatly, 3 of them was pulled back by a lead, but the fourth a little Jack Russell kept coming at me, I was doing about 18mph and had no intention of slowing but I did not expect the dog to want to try and bite my front wheel instead of my ankle, so I ran right over its head and rolled it over and as I turned round it was limping back to the caravan. To avoid confrontation with the owner who had run out onto the road to see what all the commotion was about and see his whining battered dog, I sped off.

Wonder what tomorrow will bring.

betty swollocks

large member
...probably won't be a tomorrow for the Jack Russell :whistle:

hobo

O' wise one
The Gods were looking out for you today.
I had a close call with a level crossing when i was slowly rolling along had passed through the first barriers and was meddling with my ipod when i looked up and the barriers were on their way down,that was a life almost gone.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I did that in Poland whilst walking over several tracks. I just squeezed along a bit at the side, but the steam loco (for this was the fantasticalness that is Wolsztyn no less!!) wasn't anywhere near me anyway, so I lingered about and watched it shunting (an arrestable offence in the UK probably with all the HSE paranoia).

That said, I also almost fell off the footplate of OL49-69 whilst I was filming it on the move. :whistle:

Top Bottom