rides around NOTTINGHAM

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lukesdad

Ive got to go to work in Nottingham for a week. Can anybody advise on any good scenic routes I normally go out for 2-3 hours in the middle of the day cheers.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Get out towards Clumber Park and Sherwood Forest. Or you could go out in the Matlock/Cromford/Crich kind of area. Hilly but fantastic scenery.

mds101

Long answer because its early and I'm a bit bored as I had planned to go out on bike early and not feeling well.

You can head towards Southwell and Newark. You could head into the Vale of Belvoir (you should be able to find routes on bike radar) I think this is an often missed part of the county as people head towards the North and Sherwood Forest but this is a particularly lovely part of the county and if you push it into the Lincs/Leicestershite borders..It gets even nicer. This is where I am (so some bias), it is relatvely but not entirely flat and is easy to get to towards along the A52. Depends on where in Nottm. you are.

If you want a little bit further you can do a circular route including Oakham and Rutland Water or you can plan a decent ride (avoiding the a52) out to skegness...not a nice place but a nice ride across some very old roads. You can also get the train back from either.

I had a quick look on bike radar. These look ok

Beeston Newstead
Belvoir circuit

or just look through the list

Can you tell that I like it round here. I'm away for a couple of weeks on family holiday, otherwise I'd offer to meet up.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Despite media reports, if you wear a vest or gillet it does not need to be stab proof.

Ball

I went to Uni in Nottingham and was based in Lenton, right next to the park. We used to ride South out of Lenton along the Canal towards Beeston until you get to the big Imperial Tobacco factory, then we would ride out towards Long Eaton, Kingston on Soar, Ratcliffe on Soar, Sutton Bonnington, Normanton on Soar, Stanford on Soar and loop back round. It was a beautiful ride, mostly flat stretches with the occasional bump and some very strong headwinds in parts regardless of the weather! The Park is so nice, lucky you!

phoenix

Whichever way you head out of Nottingham there are some nice rides.

If you want some hills I would suggest heading out towards the Peaks. Of course I could be biased as most of my regular riding is done in the Matlock, Buxton, Ashbourne 'triangle'.

Whichever route you decide to ride, I am sure you will enjoy it. Just hope the weather gets better.

Breedon

Legendary Member
Ball said:
I went to Uni in Nottingham and was based in Lenton, right next to the park. We used to ride South out of Lenton along the Canal towards Beeston until you get to the big Imperial Tobacco factory, then we would ride out towards Long Eaton, Kingston on Soar, Ratcliffe on Soar, Sutton Bonnington, Normanton on Soar, Stanford on Soar and loop back round. It was a beautiful ride, mostly flat stretches with the occasional bump and some very strong headwinds in parts regardless of the weather! The Park is so nice, lucky you!

i pass some of those, also rempstone, nether broughton, you could also go long eaton, shardlow, ashton on trent, weston on trent, willington.
the worlds your oyster from nottingham depends how far you can go in the time you have.

www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=12456

ladyrider100

Hi

Not sure if this is of any interest
http://www.thebigwheel.org.uk/bigtrack/

This route starts in town centre.

There are some really nice rides around here.

Have fun

OP
OP
lukesdad

lukesdad

Jakes Dad said:
You be carefull Lukes Dad

Word has filtered down to us here in Devon that there is a bunch of Merry men in that Sherwood forest ?

Simon

Thought I saw them down your way Jakesdad. 3 of them dressed in green riding mountainbikes,singing and swilling cider.....erm, sory, that was the wurzels. Lovely part of the country. Regards.

Top Bottom