Riding alone as to riding within a group

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
A

Adolf

The complete opposite. You will obviously have a common interest (bikes) so chatting will be no issue.

I'm 23, easily the youngest in the group I ride with and i'd regard them as friends in loose terms, I only ever see them on a Sunday, but we always have a laugh and most importantly a decent ride.

I love both, but group riding has most certainly kept my motivation levels high.

Do you not feel a little bit uneasy being that young in the group?

I think I'll give it a shot or if possible see if anyone lives local to.

Arsen Gere

Über Member
Adolf,
If you are north of the tyne look at Gosforth Road Club, they have a rides for varying ability, the faster lads will rip your legs off though. On the south side Sunderland Clarion have organised rides, there are clarion posters on here. The triathlon clubs do runs too.
Riding in a group is a must if you fancy road racing. Getting used to riding close to other people is essential. Otherwise you will cause acciddents in a bunch. Triathletes who move in to road racing have this habbit. Pure triathletes don't seem to ride so well close together and don't corner well either, they come off their line and are slower.

If you plan to do long miles, 60+ a group will help the time fly and keep your interest.
You get a chance to compare and rate your ability in a friendly atmosphere, some sprint for hill tops or road signs.

Once you get used to riding close to people, most folks won't mind you jumping on the back of whatever group comes along as long as you do your part. This is a good way to build your muscular endurance.

There are club time trials around too. The age varies a lot here and I've seen 18 year olds and 70 year olds.
TT's are a way of finding other people with similar interests and abilities.

The youngest I've seen on a club run is 14 but I've seen a lot younger on the northumbrian roads with parents and friends.
You don't see people picking on groups either, unless it's out of a car window.

I do a tt on Wednesday nights with a very friendly triathlon club in South Tyneside, I'd be happy to show you the ropes.
(I held a 1st cat licence 25 years ago and the clubs are full of knackered old farts like me who are willing to help you get started ).

OP
OP
A

Adolf

Adolf,
If you are north of the tyne look at Gosforth Road Club, they have a rides for varying ability, the faster lads will rip your legs off though. On the south side Sunderland Clarion have organised rides, there are clarion posters on here. The triathlon clubs do runs too.
Riding in a group is a must if you fancy road racing. Getting used to riding close to other people is essential. Otherwise you will cause acciddents in a bunch. Triathletes who move in to road racing have this habbit. Pure triathletes don't seem to ride so well close together and don't corner well either, they come off their line and are slower.

If you plan to do long miles, 60+ a group will help the time fly and keep your interest.
You get a chance to compare and rate your ability in a friendly atmosphere, some sprint for hill tops or road signs.

Once you get used to riding close to people, most folks won't mind you jumping on the back of whatever group comes along as long as you do your part. This is a good way to build your muscular endurance.

There are club time trials around too. The age varies a lot here and I've seen 18 year olds and 70 year olds.
TT's are a way of finding other people with similar interests and abilities.

The youngest I've seen on a club run is 14 but I've seen a lot younger on the northumbrian roads with parents and friends.
You don't see people picking on groups either, unless it's out of a car window.

I do a tt on Wednesday nights with a very friendly triathlon club in South Tyneside, I'd be happy to show you the ropes.
(I held a 1st cat licence 25 years ago and the clubs are full of knackered old farts like me who are willing to help you get started ).

Hi thanks.

Haha I dunno if I'd fancy myself riding with a Mackem group lol. Is any others beside the Sunderland Clarion club and the Gosforth Road club?

Sundays is a bit tight for me to because if they is overtime I have to do it so can't come out all Sundays, might have to just ride on my own for now
sad.gif

I did the 104 miles Cyclone last year and was fine but did struggle on the way home that was due to lack of sleep the night beforehand though.

I want to get an older Raleigh late 70s/earlier 80s bike to be honest, I had one a few years ago but my mother got rid of it when moving house, can you still pick these up fairly cheap? I like the heavier old school bikes if I'm honest it makes your legs work harder.

Also, I have a frame I could get hold of is it possible to spray bike frames for a relatively cheap price?

OP
OP
A

Adolf

Not at all, men of 35+ are just as interested in tits and football as us younguns are. ;)

I wasn't meaning to offend anyone but generally speaking the older folk are road cyclists not so much young people, I'm not interested in football either, road cycling & snooker is my sports.

Tits...well which man doesn't beside the ones who are about as straight as a roundabout? :tongue:

Top Bottom