Right of Way?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Svendo

Guru
My recollection of the 'who gives way' thing is that the vehicle encroaching into the other vehicles lane gives way, and where there's no centre line the centre of the road serves that purpose. On single-track roads whilst the old cyclist mentioned above is correct, the preamble bit means that as often as not the cyclist ends up giving way. Rule 155 of the H.C. specifically refers to single-track roads, I only tend to assert the other drivers obligation to give way when I'm going up hill and stopping would be a P.I.T.A.

format

Über Member
Yesterday we went up to Watendlath which is a narrow road with passing places at one point we had negotiated a couple of blind bends and came face to face with an elderly couple in a BMW, who were "shooing" us back

Now common sense would think that their reversing 10 feet into a passing place would be simpler than us reversing round the blind corners, but they were having none of it

So I politely got out and asked if they wished to be guided back, to which he replied he didn't like reversing which was why we would have to g back the 100 yards round the corners

Fortunately a another couple of vehicles came up behind us and persuaded the elderly driver to let one of us reverse their car.

Otherwise it would have quickly become impossible

If a driver cannot control their vehicle, they should not be on the road.

snailracer

Über Member
[QUOTE 2558719, member: 30090"]The above, it is not cast in stone but in the OP's scenario the cyclist should have priority (order of):

Ped > Cyclist > Mbike > Car > Bus > HGV.[/quote]
The funny thing is, accident stats show that cyclists are more actually more vulnerable when they collide with pedestrians.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
My recollection of the 'who gives way' thing is that the vehicle encroaching into the other vehicles lane gives way, and where there's no centre line the centre of the road serves that purpose. On single-track roads whilst the old cyclist mentioned above is correct, the preamble bit means that as often as not the cyclist ends up giving way. Rule 155 of the H.C. specifically refers to single-track roads, I only tend to assert the other drivers obligation to give way when I'm going up hill and stopping would be a P.I.T.A.

the vehicle gong up hill has the right of way

Svendo

Guru
the vehicle gong up hill has the right of way

In a convoluted way, that's what I was getting at, except I phrased it in terms of the downhill vehicle's obligation to give way. That's how the H.C. is framed nowadays. If you were just clarifying what I was saying my apologies.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I'll beat Gaz to this one!

No one has "right of way":

HC preamble:
1. Overview

This section should be read by all drivers, motorcyclists, cyclists and horse riders. The rules in The Highway Code do not give you the right of way in any circumstance, but they advise you when you should give way to others. Always give way if it can help to avoid an incident.
oh my. I have arrived so late to this :sad:

Milo

Guru
I tend to always give way to car drivers in country lane scenarios. I will also pull over if it is tricky for them to pass tbh just seems the courteous thing to do being the slower vehicle.

Nipped down with the Christiania to the Post Office depot to collect some parcels yesterday

I was leaving the car park and actually in the entrance when a 4x4 came straight up to to the front of the box and sat there blocking the way out

Shame the trike is so difficult to turn round!

Took me about 12 or 13 attempts before I could get far enough back for him to get in to the car park!

classic33

Leg End Member
I thought the side of the road on which the passing point is was used to indicate who should give way on a singltrack road.
Thats how I've worked it & its how I know a number of agricultural drivers treat them.

Top Bottom