rigis forks...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyh

Veteran
Hi all,

Couple of questions regarding replacing suspension forks with rigid forks - this on my little Giant Boulder.

Basically wanting to put rigid forks on since it never really goes properly off road, and the horrid Suntour XCT forks are just that - horrid! (especially on a climb, nasty bouncey junk!)

So, am I correct in thinking the general size of a steerer tube is 1 1/8", and what else should I be aware of when buying rigid forks?

Cheers chaps

Johnny

Globalti

Legendary Member
The problem will always be the length of fork, for which the frame was built. It may not be possible to buy a long enough rigid fork; I know as I have looked at doing the same.

Why not shop around for a used SID air fork? They are lightweight and reliable if they have been serviced properly.

GaryA

Subversive Sage
I chucked away my old Jett fork and fitted a Rigid kona P2 doublebutted cro-moly steel...much lighter and better..... if your boulders fork is 80mm a P2 will fit with out much geometry change, in fact it will quicken the steering and make it feel even better, win win :angry:

OP
OP
johnnyh

johnnyh

Veteran
the fork on there is a Suntour XCT 75mm travel, so I guess this equates closely to 80mm???

where did you get said fork? any info much appreciated

GaryA

Subversive Sage
johnnyh said:
the fork on there is a Suntour XCT 75mm travel, so I guess this equates closely to 80mm???

where did you get said fork? any info much appreciated

I got mine off e-bay a few years ago from some poor sucker swopping it for a cheapo fork! :tongue:
I believe wiggle used to sell them new but they were not cheap- £80 ish
they come around on e-bay quite often, but they are in demand- therefore not easy to find them cheap- make sure the steerer is long enough to fit your before you bid.

Top Bottom