Rim question.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brahan

Über Member
A club member responded to my email club spam, to say that he did in fact have a fixed hub wheel I could have. I picked it up on my commute home where he tied it onto my backpack. I got home to find the rim doesn't have a 'lip?' for the tyre bead to take hold of. There's nothing there to offer purchase to the tyre, just straight up, parallel sides.

Do I need a specific tyre to ride this wheel safely?

cheers

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
You don't need specific tyres, but you shouldn't run such vintage rims with high pressure, the constraint of which also meant unless you are light you shouldn't run narrow tyres (due to risk of pinch flats). IME occasionally I had to grab portion of the tyre against the rim as I started pumping (with a foot pump e.g.) to stop part of the tyre rising higher in one place than the rest... There is nothing to recommend it imho and I would avoid it if I could.

OP
OP
B

Brahan

Über Member
Ok, so I've been rocking this rim out for a few weeks now. It seems pretty stable to be honest and I run it at 90 psi so there's quite a decent amount of pressure there, no unseating as yet. I decided to clean the years of engrained muck of it yesterday to reveal quite a pretty wheel with a Campag Record hub which looks lovely once shined up. The bearings sound a tiny tad grainy but all in all it's great fun. I feel a bit lucky, considering I got it for free.

Will post a pic soon.

Top Bottom