rim wear indicatorss

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
A quick google returned this:-

"Tandem Club" said:
we had a Ryno rim split last year, when we got home I used a micrometer to check thickness and found it to be 0.9mm.The new Ryno rims braking surface was 1.8mm,these where the same rims as you mention (black with circle indicators)at a guess i would say the indicators are about 0.3mmto0.4mm deep therefore leaving about 1.4mm left after the the indicators wear off

With the wear-away indicators, it's easy to fail to notice they've gone, and perfectly possible to ignore the warning for too long.
Rigida rims wear through to an internal cavity, so you get a creak right round the middle of the braking surface, and scraping noises where bits of aluminium off the edge of the cavity get embedded in the brake blocks. This gives a pretty definitive "change your rims now" message that it's difficult to avoid.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
psmiffy said:
what sort of factor of safety are there on rim wear indicators - the ones on my sun ryhnos disapeared about 500k ago

Do you really want to compromise your safety by second guessing when rim failure is imminent?

Davidc

Guru
If the hubs are still god buy a new one and rebuild/ get rebuilt the wheel.

If they aren't buy a new wheel

I think ignoring a safety warning on a critical component is rather silly.

rualexander

Legendary Member
CTC's Chris Juden suggests a couple of tests, one measuring the rim thickness and the other over-inflating your tyre to see if the rim blows, if it doesn't he reckons the rim should last a few hundred more miles.
In the thickness test he suggests 1mm should be regarded as a minimum.
Have a look at this page on CTC site :
http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=3827
The pressure test is mentioned near the top of the page, the thickness test about half way down, with a picture of a set of calipers.

Brains

Legendary Member
I had Sun Rynos - I got 15,000 miles out of them before the rims wore out
(The reason why they went so fast was a lot of the miles were London commuting where I typically get 500 miles from a set of brake blocks)

The way I found out they were worn was the brake blocks could not be tightned up enough and when you ran your finger over the rim there was a definite 'step'

On my trip across Europe and Central Asia if I had followed David C's advice I would have had to get new rims in Germany after only 2,000km. As it was we pressed on and the rims are still going strong 8,000km later, surviving some of the worst roads I have ridden. I think there is a big safety margin on Rynos - probably a US liability thing.

OP
OP
psmiffy
at least 1200ks would seem to be the answer

when i have a few spare moments i will put a micrometer on them just to satisfy my own curiosity

stewie griffin

Über Member
psmiffy said:
good theory but with the parrelal motion of the maguras the bevel will probably not be significant

Not only because of wear (normally concaved), the rim walls are not always uniform as new, usually the inner & outer face of the rim wall is not parrallel, that's why the relitive "fatness" of a micrometer won't measure the thinnest part, ask me how I know.;)

Greenbank

Über Member
I do a few spot checks around the rim (both sides) with a caliper style rim gauge (search ebay for: bicycle rim gauge). I check it whenever I change the tyre or tube at home (and I've got the gauge there) or I haven't checked in 2000km or so.

A brand new Mavic Open Pro is about 1.7mm. One of my SON front wheels has done 12000km and it's down to about 1.0mm. I'll start to get nervous and consider replacement when I see it go below 0.8mm. Someone elsewhere had rim failure on an Open Pro (a section of rim cracked and folded inwards) and he rim was measuring about 0.5mm thick.

OP
OP
psmiffy
I have not got round to checking the rims but I looked at how far these rims have done 16500k the previous set did 15500k before the rear rim failed

Top Bottom