Rims, Wheels, Repairs, What to Do?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

02GF74

Über Member
take photo of pothole and write to council with demand for £ x for replacement wheel.

Landslide

Rare Migrant
MacB said:
Looks like Open Pro handbuilt, by PorkyPete:biggrin:, is the way I'm going, will be a 36 spoke count and rear wheel only for now.
Whilst I can't vouch for Pete's builds, that sounds like an excellent choice. I've nowt but admiration for Oen Pros, and 36 spokes will, as you say, give you a little extra in the way of durability/usability should you have the misfortune to break a spoke.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Bludge - get yourself a set of Dura-Ace wheels. The fewer spokes the better. Babe magnets. If only Davy hadn't settled for Open Pros....

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
dellzeqq said:
Bludge - get yourself a set of Dura-Ace wheels. The fewer spokes the better. Babe magnets. If only Davy hadn't settled for Open Pros....
Or Rolf Prima ones....my ickle Jetstream has 14 spokes on the front. Not a babe magnet (but then I'm more babe repellent).

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
porkypete said:
Not tried the Alpine triple butted. I like the idea but 75p each ?
I won't tell you how much I paid for the last lot of DT spokes I bought - needed in an emergency, and they were the only brand the shop had in the size I wanted - never again!
I'm hard on wheels but I've yet to break a regular double-butted ACI Alpina - 19p each last time I bought any. That's a big £ difference over a pair of 36 spoke wheels.
I've found the ACI double butted spokes to be good as well, for what it's worth.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Landslide said:
Whilst I can't vouch for Pete's builds, that sounds like an excellent choice. I've nowt but admiration for Oen Pros, and 36 spokes will, as you say, give you a little extra in the way of durability/usability should you have the misfortune to break a spoke.

MacB has decided to go for a lower cost "repair" option of new rim on his existing hub, so if anyone wants a pair of brand new Silver 36 spoke Open Pros handbuilt on Shimano 105 hubs, SS D/B spokes.... they are now for sale.... or they will be later this evening when I've finished off the final trueing up of the back one.

I don't claim any huge experience of wheelbuilding, I just carefully follow the instructions in wheelpro, and know from personal experience that Open Pros built to that recipe, whilst not the most fashionable looking of wheels, are stiff, fast(ish), and will stand hyooooge amounts of punishment.

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Just to add that my decision was no reflection on Pete just a question of current cash flow and only wanting to spend serious money on what I really want. As it is, repair of existing is proving to be impractical compared to buying cheap complete wheel. Have ordered an Open Pro black 32H, on tiagra hub for £75 all in.

Am now going to save for my hearts desire wheelset:-

DT Swiss RR 1.1 double eyeletted rims in black 32H, DT Swiss comp spokes in black, red alloy spoke nipples and red Hope Pro III hubs. Hope skewers, colour undecided, should come in around the £350 mark and hopefully last a very long time, or at least the hubs.

Top Bottom