RIP Karl Wallinger.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
I met this guy a few times way back in the day, 1986/7 and he was so nice and humble. I was at a party with him once and he played Satellite of Love on the Piano, he had a great voice and was a great natural talent.
I was so shocked to hear he died aged 66.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Don't know the name or the bands he was a member of.
Apparently he wrote for Robbie Williams.
No age at all

Legs

usually riding on Zwift...
Apparently he wrote for Robbie Williams.
Not really, just that one of his songs was covered by Robbie.
Wasn't it the Waterboys?
Yes, and then World Party in the late 80s/90s. Goodbye Jumbo is one of the albums I go back to time and again. Sadly, Karl suffered a brain aneurysm in 2001 and I don't think he was in great heath for quite a while.

tfc03

Veteran
Discovered World Party as a teenager in the '80s and played the first two albums endlessly. Worth a listen on Spotify, some songs stand up well still and some of the eco-conscious lyrics are well-ahead of their time. Nice obituary in the Guardian this week.

Badger_Boom

Über Member
Discovered World Party as a teenager in the '80s and played the first two albums endlessly. Worth a listen on Spotify, some songs stand up well still and some of the eco-conscious lyrics are well-ahead of their time. Nice obituary in the Guardian this week.

Same here. I remember buying Goodbye Jumbo when it came out because of the quirky cover and the glowing review in Q Magazine. I still listen to his music regularly and have enjoyed being reminded of just how good he was.

For those unfamiliar with Karl Wallinger or World Party, here he is entertaining the citizens of Frome in 2013.

View: https://youtu.be/IWCT1DJJz5I?si=GdCY9qDE8c3vRirb

Same here. I remember buying Goodbye Jumbo when it came out because of the quirky cover and the glowing review in Q Magazine. I still listen to his music regularly and have enjoyed being reminded of just how good he was.

For those unfamiliar with Karl Wallinger or World Party, here he is entertaining the citizens of Frome in 2013.

He sounds amazing, considering it's an on-street performance/recording, and in light of:

Sadly, Karl suffered a brain aneurysm in 2001 and I don't think he was in great heath for quite a while.

I only really know that one single, but it is right up there in the pantheon of Top Poptastic Records!
RIP Karl.

Cycleops

Legendary Member

Anybody that plays in a band which includes a fiddle can never be bad.

Top Bottom