RIP Wilko Johnson

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I saw him at the Half Moon in Herne Hill in 1983(?). A fantastic night.

Beforehand I had of those conversations that sticks in your mind -
Someone, I don't remember: Want to go and see Wilko Johnson tonight?
Me: Who's he?
Someone: Clockwork guitarist from Doctor Feelgood.

I think whoever it was may have been slagging him off with the term "clockwork" but when I saw him I thought it sort of fitted well.

Incidentally I had Doctor Feelgood and Doctor Hook and the Medicine Show mixed up in my head at the time so I wasn't quite sure what to expect.

Last edited:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Sad to hear

A few years ago we went to a Stranglers concert and before going in, knowing you can have an hour or two of preamble in these gigs, asked the doormam when Stranglers were actually coming on. "Well, Doctor Feelgood are on at 8 and Stranglers will be on at 9:30". Feelgood were the support band ! I'd have bought tickets just to see them, but I'd not realised they were even on the bill. Lucky we didn't just roll up an hour late. Both were excellent

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I saw Dr Feelgood at the Hammersmith Odeon in 1976 when Wilko was still with them. Most of the audience were wired up on booze and speed. It was a memorable ( and faintly menacing ) evening.
There's a clip out there somewhere of David Hepworth describing Dr Feelgood looking as if they had "come together in some unsavoury section of the army". Anyway, here they are with Wilko at his manic best.......
[media]

]View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yp2DvPKh118[/media]

This is worth a read.
20221123_192005.jpg

Cycleops

Legendary Member
This might interest some of you:

View: https://youtu.be/wMlhWvIh7U4

Petrichorwheels

Belated respect to Sky Arts (Freeview 11) for quickly changing their schedule to show Oil City Confidential.

Good film. Recommended. Have only just found out that he'd passed from this thread. Saw him at the half moon putney years ago. Great night.
RIP

Top Bottom