Riser bar question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

abo

Do I need a shorter stem with a riser? Or is it a case of suck it and see how it feels? I think I'd like to fit a riser mainly for comfort; I'm 6'2 but open to advice, with me being a bit of a noob

Muddy Ground

No rule - just ride what you find comfortable. Personally I wouldn't go swopping out too much at a time as there are so many variations you'd get lost amongst the choice, not to mention expense. Your LBS may look at how you sit on the bike and make suggestions as to where to go? That or try some different bikes fitted with this stuff.

Generally; play in the woods or prefer downhill duties, short stem wide bar. Longer rides, then go the other way - longer stem, narrower bar. One of the magazines this month has some guy fitting drops to his MTB..... It's your bike, do what you will. Lot of fashion out there that may not suit you.

MG

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Just make sure that the bars you buy fit the stem clamps. I learned the hard way :laugh:. I would just swap out the bars first (taking into account their width as well as their rise) and if you still need more comfort consider either a shorter stem or one with a greater angle of rise. A shorter stem will make hill climbing slightly more difficult but will make tricky manoeuvres off road a little easier.

Top Bottom