Riser Handlebars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I am considering buying some riser handlebars to give me a bit more height. looks better than a riser stem or stacks of spacers !

Sigma sports appear to offer these - the only difference I can see is one has a flare, whilst the other doesn't ...and the flared one is £5 cheaper - wots the purpose of the flare ?

no flare bars

flare bars

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I read somewhere flared drops were popular years ago in France on what are now called gravel bikes.

They would provide a bit more leverage on the drops, although I'm not sure why you would want that.

I suppose a more open chested position on the drops could help breathing a little.

More likely it just comes down to what the rider most likes the look of.

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
I read somewhere flared drops were popular years ago in France on what are now called gravel bikes.

They would provide a bit more leverage on the drops, although I'm not sure why you would want that.

I suppose a more open chested position on the drops could help breathing a little.

More likely it just comes down to what the rider most likes the look of.

Its for road use - I just need a bit of extra height. Think I will go for the non flared ones.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Its for road use - I just need a bit of extra height. Think I will go for the non flared ones.

For what it's worth, I rather like the look of the flared ones.

Seems to me it does just come down to rider preference - unless someone can tell us differently.

Sharky

Guru
Seems expensive just for a 15mm rise?
Presume you've flipped the stem and moved all the spacers under the stem?
What degree stem are you using? I recently bought a high rise (45 degree) stem for one of my bikes to give a much higher position.

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
Seems expensive just for a 15mm rise?
Presume you've flipped the stem and moved all the spacers under the stem?
What degree stem are you using? I recently bought a high rise (45 degree) stem for one of my bikes to give a much higher position.
I don't like the look of flipped stems - or loads of spaces under the bars

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
Sorry to drag up an old thread @kingrollo, but I'm curious if you purchased one of these, and if you did, what you think of it? Thanks.

Yes I did. I returned the sigmas as the non round tops made it difficult to mount lights etc.

Got some similar from wiggle. Pretty good way of getting a little extra height without loads of spacers under the stem.

Picked up a pretty grim pelvic / groin has massively restricted my cycling since the winter - but yeah for the money definitely recommend them.

CharleyFarley

My beach cruiser has a threaded steerer, so the quill stem is adjustable for height. My problem with it was that, being a cruiser, it has a longer frame which puts the bars further away from me., and I wanted them a bit closer. Reversing the quill stem was out of the question because the bars would almost touch my knees. I solved the problem with an adjustable quill stem. Have you considered an adjustable stem? It would certainly raise your bars but also bring them closer to you, which you might not want.

Top Bottom