"Risky cycling rarely to blame..."

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cab

GrasB said:
Slightly off topic but maybe it's time to be suggesting cyclist have brighter rear lights always on?

The data in this article suggests that such is not all that likely to help. It turns out that it isn't poor lights or poor hi-viz that kills cyclists. What kills cyclists is motorists.

GrasB

Veteran
A lot of poor driver observation comes down to excessive information filtering & lazy information gathering, people tend to filter data down to certain information criteria. A bright red light is often a brake light thus it's something drivers aren't filtering but high-viz clothing isn't something that's seen as particularly important so gets filtered out. This isn't just something I've noticed on the bike but also in cars, vehicles approaching from behind seem to see the car or take notice of it much earlier during the day when I have side lights on (thus the rear lights are lit).

Cab

Yet with so many cyclists not having lights, a vanishingly small proportion of accidents are caused by that. Why is that, do you think?

GrasB

Veteran
Cab said:
Yet with so many cyclists not having lights, a vanishingly small proportion of accidents are caused by that. Why is that, do you think?
Not having lights in its self shouldn't cause an accident during the day, however having a bright rear light on gives you more visibility in a form drivers are expecting, consciously or sub-conciously. My experience is that on a bike & in a car drivers are more attentive around you when you're showing rear lights during the day. So why NOT display one?

snorri said:
Cyclists are already encouraged to wear hi viz, reflectives and h*****s, and cycle on segregated paths.:eek:
Is it not long past time to curb the excesses of the motor vehicle driver?

I think your invisible shield should protect you nicely from all the nasty motons
snorri. In the mean time, the rest of us will look to raise our profile in their field of vision and give them more time to bring their speed into line with ours..

Dan B

Disengaged member
GrasB said:
My experience is that on a bike & in a car drivers are more attentive around you when you're showing rear lights during the day. So why NOT display one?
It may be a sensible thing for the individual to do, but it's not a substitute for fixing the problem (i.e. the bad driving) at source. What happens when everybody has rear lights on during the day? They become no longer unusual and recede into the general clutter

jonesy

Guru
Cab said:

I fear this crucial point has gone unnoticed by later contributors...

coruskate said:
It may be a sensible thing for the individual to do, but it's not a substitute for fixing the problem (i.e. the bad driving) at source. What happens when everybody has rear lights on during the day? They become no longer unusual and recede into the general clutter

There are always going to be distracted, inattentive or just plain inconsiderate drivers on the road. Common sense dictates that you should mitigate to reduce the chance of them actually not being aware of your presence because you want to be forthright about this point. Forewarned is to be forearmed - you will always come off worse if you connect with them.

Origamist

Legendary Member
coruskate said:

It also disadvantages pedestrians - unless of course we start recommending they wear lights too...

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Loads of cyclists cycle with crap or no lights, and don't have an accident....

I cycle with very good lights....... still got taken out......

Speed is a huge issue for a 'regular / keen cyclist' motorists don't anticipate it, hence the need for 'bigger' lights i.e. 'WTF is that' mentality

Plenty of students in Manchester cycle up and down Oxford Road - it's Europe's busiest bus route, with no, or crap lights, no reflectives, no road sense and survive..... I avoid the road completely......

It's bloody amazing watching them....how the hell they don't get killed.....

Clamson

You could strap the sun to your handlebars and fire bullets into the air but still some motorists would "fail to notice you". I can't believe that, when 99.9% of motorists can see me perfectly well (just lights, no hi-vis), that the other 0.1% can't see me. They just don't care.

Top Bottom