River Clyde Walkway

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dwn

I wondered if anyone here has cycled on the Clyde Walkway between Cambuslang and Chatelherault? I’ve gone from the SECC to Cambuslang, but then switched to the roads since the maps I used weren’t clear about the existence of a path, or what sort of state it was in if it did exist.

Thanks

Brandane

Legendary Member
Does such a walkway or path exist? On the few occasions I have been out that direction, I have stuck to the typically convoluted routes recommended by the Sustrans NCN... So probably the same route you have taken via Uddingston, Blantyre, and Hamilton.

Reactions: Dwn

OldShep

Über Member
I think I might have cycled that one?
coming north on R74 and later it becomes 75.
As I recall tarmac all the way and confusing in parts. You’ll see a little spur when I lost direction.
F3FDEBAB-E349-4523-92E1-EFA348E4829C.png

Reactions: Dwn
OP
OP
Dwn

Dwn

Does such a walkway or path exist? On the few occasions I have been out that direction, I have stuck to the typically convoluted routes recommended by the Sustrans NCN... So probably the same route you have taken via Uddingston, Blantyre, and Hamilton.

There’s a Wikipedia entry for Clyde Walkway, which indicates a route, but I’m pretty sceptical about it. I’ve gone along as far as a turn that indicates both (from memory) Carmyle and Newton Farm. The Newton Farm route is fine, but once there you have to take the roads out towards Blantyre.

My daughter lives out towards Chateleherault and I’m trying to find a route that Mrs DWN would be happy with. Despite being a long time runner and fitter than me, she really hates hills and much of the route I take is quite hilly.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I wondered if anyone here has cycled on the Clyde Walkway between Cambuslang and Chatelherault? I’ve gone from the SECC to Cambuslang, but then switched to the roads since the maps I used weren’t clear about the existence of a path, or what sort of state it was in if it did exist.

Thanks
Hi!
There isn't a segregate route suitable for bikes from Cambuslang to Chatelherault.
You can either leave the Clyde Walkway at Cambuslang, then take the road straight up to Hamilton, then once in Hamilton turn towards the races, it's a right when you reach the main road after the shopping centre, then a downhill to the park, with a very scary right turn to the entrance.

Or, you could cycle on at Cambuslang, exit at Newton, take the farm road (right at the mini roundabout) that is still NC 75, down a big hill, up a big hill, cross the road at the top into a forest track (OK for bikes) into Uddingston.
From there follow the on road cycle route (NC75 still) that takes you to Strathclyde country park. It's a bit twisty, but signed.
Some bits are a bit pot holy, the last part is over the new cycling/pedestrian bridge, rather nice.
Once in Strathclyde park, there is a path that takes you to Chatelherault.
Don't go when it has been raining lots, because bits of the path tend to flood.
It's a good ride in summer, you could make it a circular route, beware of Hamilton town, it's very busy with cars and buses.

Top Bottom