Road Bike Headset Removal - mangled thread on headset cover

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
Hello, I need to replace the headset bearings, so step 1 is to remove the headset cover.

Despite my best efforts the allen key top screw would not turn and started to break down.

Can I drill this out at all - I will replace the threaded bolt but I don't want to destroy anything.

Any ideas ?

1716215055368.png

Slick

Guru
Sacrifice a slightly over size key and try to rap it in place before trying again.

Maybe a drip of plus gas to help it along?

figbat

Slippery scientist
I had exactly this issue with a MTB of mine. In the end I very energetically hammered an oversized Torx bit into the hex and carefully applied torque.

If this failed to work I was going to get the Plusgas on it, but you need to invert the bike and spray from the underside of the steerer to hit the star nut (this is likely the bit that's seized, rather than at the top cap).

Ultimately I was planning to drill it out if it didn't budge. This should get the top cap off meaning you can remove the fork from the frame. You may then need to hammer the remaining bolt through the steerer and fit a new star nut, bolt and possibly top cap (depending how precise your drilling was).

Big John

Guru
I've never had one stick so I've had no experience of 'unsticking' one. That said if I had a problem and the only option was to drill it out I'd be facing more woe trying to shift the star nut. If there's some way to get some plus gas on it, like figbat suggests, I'd try that first but give it a good dose and time for it to do it's job. That'll save you trying to shift a star nut and replace it with another. I've never replaced a star nut and I don't know how easy it is to fit without the proper tool. Good luck. I hope it all works out. Let us all know how you get on 👍

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I've never had one stick so I've had no experience of 'unsticking' one. That said if I had a problem and the only option was to drill it out I'd be facing more woe trying to shift the star nut. If there's some way to get some plus gas on it, like figbat suggests, I'd try that first but give it a good dose and time for it to do it's job. That'll save you trying to shift a star nut and replace it with another. I've never replaced a star nut and I don't know how easy it is to fit without the proper tool. Good luck. I hope it all works out. Let us all know how you get on 👍

Assuming it is a star nut rather than a bung, all you need to do is hammer the existing one down the tube about an inch then fit the replacement as normal.

13 rider

Guru
Before attempting any hammering in torx bits or oversize keys a good squirt of penetrating lube can't do any harm ,give it plenty of time to soak in and possible multiple applications, I have a local bike shop I trust and would probably take it to them and tell them the full story and see what they say ,I'd guess they would have come across similar situations and how all the tricks to help

OP
OP
Rooster1

Rooster1

Thank you dudes - I managed to get it free by whacking in a square tapered piece and a giant set of pliers.

**NEW ISSUE** now the stupid spacers are stuck solid lol. I have tried several ways of removing them including whacking a screwdriver in between the gaps. I have now sprayed lots of penetrating fluid into the gaps - I am sure it will give way eventually.

1717145532635.png

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
How the heck has all that stuck - I always use a bit of grease. Try a piece of wood and a hammer and tap the sides of the spacers to free them up. Or, assuming it's an alloy steerer, wood on top of steerer, and tap the fork down with a hammer (by hitting the wood).

OP
OP
Rooster1

Rooster1

How the heck has all that stuck - I always use a bit of grease. Try a piece of wood and a hammer and tap the sides of the spacers to free them up. Or, assuming it's an alloy steerer, wood on top of steerer, and tap the fork down with a hammer (by hitting the wood).

Don't worry - I will win eventually.

OP
OP
Rooster1

Rooster1

Success - well kind of.

Managed to get two of the three spacers out - but I managed to break the star nut / sunflower.

I will have to replace it.

I am assuming I may need a tool to replace this ?

1717398595045.png

Top Bottom