Road bike shoes for walking in...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maz

Guru
Do these shoes exist?
The ones I have at the moment are SPD shoes, which I guess are casual fit/MTB style shoes. They're getting worn out and could do with replacing.

Can you get road bike shoes that are walkable? I ask because I have to walk my daughter to school most days.

thanks

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
Some of the SIDI mtb shoes are the closest to a road style but with a recessed cleat (Atac, Frog or SPD).

I'm not aware of a road shoe that will take road cleats and sill be easily walkable.

domtyler

Über Member
It is possible to walk in SPD-SL's as they have a sticky outy pontoon with little pads on. It is possible, but not comfortable for any distance and for difficult terrain a right pita. You'd be best off either having a lightweight pair of shoes/sandals/flipflops and then change or sticking with SPD's.

Bigtallfatbloke

I got mine 2 years ago ish...all I recall is that I had to buy the maximum size they make to fit my size 13 UK's which they do comfortably. They have a rubber sole which surrounds the cleats when walking so the metal bits never touch the ground, but this does not interfere with clippng in/out on th ebike. The top of the shoes have mesh panels which are good in th esummer but as soon as it rians or gets cold I start wishing they were sealed! They are comfortable enough to walk in for most walks, although I would not want to hike in them!
I had to put a gaffer tape seal over the cleat on the inside of the shoe to reduce leaks in the puddles i should avoid!

These got soaked in germany this year, and then again in France. They take a while to dry out as I darn't put them in the dryer in case th eplastic contorts or something...as a result they now stink a lot...but like i said they have been ridden in every day for 2 years...so I suppose it's to be expected.

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
Bigtallfatbloke said:
I got mine 2 years ago ish...all I recall is that I had to buy the maximum size they make to fit my size 13 UK's which they do comfortably.
So was that also a size 13?
I might be able to get into a 46 (UK11?) like the ones in the Evans link. I only wish I could try them on for size first.

Bigtallfatbloke

I suspect a 49 I am sorry I cant recall exactly and I cannot see a label on the shoes.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Maz, you must try shoes on, even if you don't buy from them, as bike shoes sizes very loads - Sidi are narrow, Spesh are wide...... as standard....

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
fossyant said:
Maz, you must try shoes on, even if you don't buy from them, as bike shoes sizes very loads - Sidi are narrow, Spesh are wide...... as standard....
Thanks, fossy. I think Spesh might suit me as my feet are wide-ish.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
For many brands the top end MTB shoes are the same as the road shoes, but with different drillings and a treaded sole for walking.
I use Sidi Dominators, available up to size 52, and without the mesh top panels that let in the cooling breeze and the rain. These are pretty much the same as the Sidi Genius road shoe (that has mesh though, roadies don't care about getting wet feet). Note that Sidi do wide fitting versions (Mega) of many of their shoes.

I would say that if you are going to do much walking, then MTB-ified versions of road shoes aren't necessarily a good thing, as the soles can be too stiff for good walking. They are fine for round the supermarket, but you may not like to do much more than a couple of miles of tarmac walking in them.

Top Bottom