Road-bike, taking Full Guards and a light rack, what's available?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Once upon a time, there was the GIANT scr, a nice basic roadie, triple, full rack and guard capability and was a reasonable club bike too. What's available these days that's not stratospherically expensive, i.e 600 to £1000?
It seems to be full guard compatability that seems the issue on 2009's bikes.

funnily enough i saw a giant scr 2.0 this morning kitted out with mudguards and a rack. i was quite interested as i also have one!

Tynan

Veteran
the condor bikes take proper guards and racks at least, the fratello and the agu, think they're £800 odd including both

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Tynan said:
the condor bikes take proper guards and racks at least, the fratello and the agu, think they're £800 odd including both

£950
for Fratello with Tiagra :sad: Bikes have lept up in price lately ;)

The SCR did it all pretty much for a reasonable price and now it seems to have no equal at the 600 to 700 mark.
At around £750 ish the Tricross maybe's and option as is the new Dawes Sportif.

Jonathan M

Ribble winter trainer ticks all your boxes, always been prices reasonably, if they follow their usual sales patterns it will be getting advertised regularly soon in Cycling weekly.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Jonathan M said:
Ribble winter trainer ticks all your boxes, always been prices reasonably, if they follow their usual sales patterns it will be getting advertised regularly soon in Cycling weekly.

Good call!
£650 gets you Aksiums, Tiagra triple 9 spd and chromoplastic guards, a commuter roadie bargain!

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Tynan said:
bleeding hell, I thought they were pricey before
If I was in the Market though, the Fratello would be the top of my list. Good looks and as capable an all-rounder as you'll find these days.

Jonathan M

Fab Foodie said:
Good call!
£650 gets you Aksiums, Tiagra triple 9 spd and chromoplastic guards, a commuter roadie bargain!

Sizing can be a bit odd, they come up quite long on the top tube for the seat tube length, example I am measured for a 56cm by my LBS, my Ribble summer bike I'm on a 50cm (sloping top tube though) and the winter bike a 54cm. Top tube length is fine though.

If you can make the trip to Preston that would be usueful,other than that use the advice on the Bikebuilder part of their website - assuming you go for the Ribble that is!

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Jonathan M said:
Sizing can be a bit odd, they come up quite long on the top tube for the seat tube length, example I am measured for a 56cm by my LBS, my Ribble summer bike I'm on a 50cm (sloping top tube though) and the winter bike a 54cm. Top tube length is fine though.

If you can make the trip to Preston that would be usueful,other than that use the advice on the Bikebuilder part of their website - assuming you go for the Ribble that is!

Thanks for the warning!
It's not for me, it's for a pal who wants a proper road bike to commute year-round to work and carry his clothes etc. There's also an option for a riverside/towpath route hence the need for full mudguard and rack capability. It was only when I started looking I realised that the new choices this year are quite limited (or at least hard to find). The Tricross is an option too. In my LBS the new steel sportive bikes from Dawes also look eminantly suitable. I hope Dawes does well with them.

Top Bottom