Road/racer bike for 10 year old daughter -Where??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

numbum

Please can anyone point me to where I might be able to get a road/racer bike with thin tyres for my 10 year old daughter as she is struggling to cycle with us on her current bike - she is small for her age at 135cm but is very fit. My son now borrows my old bike (tourer) and enjoys riding with us so much more. Second hand or cheap new would do - they sold these when I was kid but now it's big fat hard work tyres every where.

On ebay there is a 5 speed girls racer by emmelle but I don't know anything about the brand

your advice would be appreciated and bring harmony back to our bike rides!!!
Thanks
Caroline

oxbob

Any idea what size frame she might fit?

wafflycat

Islabikes.. If I had a youngster, that's the first brand I'd be going for.

Some of the major brands bring out kids' versions of road bikes, but they seem to be limited editions and can run expensive too. Example:-

http://www.bianchi.com/uk/products2009/Junior_RoadMtbBmxCity_Y9B42.aspx

I've seen one of those IRL and it was *gorgeous*

If you were willing to travel, Uncle Madgett's Magic Emporioum in Diss, otherwise known as Madgetts in Diss, Norfolk, has the occasional kid's road bike in. The last one I saw there was a lovely thing, beautiful electric blue high gloss paint jobbie, scaled down version of adult road bike.

OP
OP
N

numbum

HI..

Size: she is 135cm with an inside leg of 63cm ish not sure what size that equates to, but she has (finally!) started to grow over the last couple of months so a slightly bigger bike might work too.

The isalbikes look fantastic - Luath 26, but £349 is still quite steep for a bike that may last a couple of years. We have a garage graveyard of small bikes! Money and OH no object I would go for one of those!!

Caroline

wafflycat

Have Decathlon stopped doing their kid's road bike?

Jonathan M

wafflycat said:
Have Decathlon stopped doing their kid's road bike?

Yes, they sold them all off this time last year for about £35 & certainly Stockport has never carried them again. I bought one for my son from e-bay last year, think the guy had stocked up on them and was selling on to others.

They are OK little bikes, not as sorted as the Islabike range, but with triple gears, dual pivot canti's etc.

The sometimes come up on ebay, often for stupidly inflated prices though.

To the OP Emmelle was a bike range similar to Raleigh, don't know if they still exist or if they do they may be classed nowadays as BSO's (Bicycle Shaped Objects).

NOt too young for the new Catrike Children's trike.... excellent pedigree and from experience of the adult nes - very fast!

ctd01.jpg

Top Bottom