Road rash.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

longers

Legendary Member
And how best to treat it?

It's all clean, should I dress it? And what with? Big plasters or something else? or leave it open to the air?

Should I put some cream on it? eg antiseptic?
The last lot on my knee healed well by putting dressings on it for a few days to keep it off my clothing but this is hip, knees and elbows and I haven't got that many bandages in stock.

Thanks in advance :biggrin:.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
If it is not weeping let the air get at it, if your going to put a long sleeved shirt on put a dry bandage or light gauze on it and before going to bed

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
An alternative is to seal it up in modern moist repair plasters. These keep it wet (and stinky) so it supposedly heals quicker, and you get no scab so no pain either.

OP
OP
longers

longers

Legendary Member
Baggy said:
Ouch, sounds as if you've been the victim of seasonal weather?

No, a victim of my own stupidity. I knew the road doesn't get gritted and I knew the descent is north facing.
An impressive slide though - if you like watching idiots ruining clothing.

Cheers BM, I'll try the modern plaster method next time. This method is cheaper and they're not as bad as they looked at first.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
/I is the master of road rash thanks to my skating.

Once I taped clingfilm over a particularly large patch of roadrash. Better than getting stuck to the sheets and having Mrs BM shout at me for bleeding into the bed.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
p.s. got a new small one today. Was fooling around playing some hockey, and my mate got a bit aggro so of course I had return the attempted checks (think ice hockey) he made on me. I got him off his feet, but myself too unfortunately.

BentMikey said:
/I is the master of road rash thanks to my skating.

Once I taped clingfilm over a particularly large patch of roadrash. Better than getting stuck to the sheets and having Mrs BM shout at me for bleeding into the bed.

Ditto - when I had my accident in January, Mrs B surgically taped a double thickness of clean hankies and surgical dressings over a 4 inch square road rash on my thigh each night. Stung like hell, but the precious bedsheets stayed clean! :biggrin:

tyred

Legendary Member
I remember a sadisitic PE teacher at secondary school who used to take great delight in pouring iodine on to any cuts/grazes we got during PE. Stings like hell and leaves you all purple.

Tynan

Veteran
I like the hydro colloid type dressings, the good thing is they stay on for days if not weeks and they do stop scabs and scarring and keep the injury relatively pain free

and they look really scary inside as all the pus and gunge pools

but for road rash I'd worry about what's been driven into and perhaps under the skin, my last nasty set right down the inside of my fore armgot the benefit of A&E who insisted it on scrubbing it all out

yes, it did hurt a lot but everyone bar me thought it was funny

Top Bottom