Road shoes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

supermac

Is it worth investing in a pair of shoes and cleats,have been cycling 6 months now and thinking about makin the switch without breaking the bank,any advice or what should i go for?? cheers

NormanD

Lunatic Asylum Escapee
Depends on which type you're looking for .. I use shimano BG sport MTB shoes along with Shimano PDM520 pedals on my road bike and also my CX bike as i like to walk about when off the bike ... road bike shoes along with road pedals are preferred by road users, but I found them very difficult to walk about with.

but once you go clipless you'll never go back to normal pedals again, even taking into account a "Moment" or two :giggle:

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
I recently went to proper SPD SL from mountain bike SPDs.

To be honest, I wouldnt have liked them if I hadnt got used to normal SPDs first.

One of the main differences is that if you miss the clip in with spds you can quite easily pedal a few turns with the pedal under the arch of your foot as the rubber sole will grip the pedals. With SPD-SL if you try that you will slip off the pedal. If you think you are cliped in but have missed and go to "Give it some" you will slip off, but only after you have raised yousrlf and inch or 2 out of the saddle to drop back down on the jewels!

Nobody told me that.

doctornige

Shimano R087 with Look Keo 2 Max. Very pleased, apart from the usual
Look 'squeak' which is eliminated by a quick twist within the float allowance.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
If you want to try keo style pedals Outland do a budget clipless Keo compatable pedal for about 25 notes including cleats. They are fine as entry level pedals and if you don't like them it won't break the bank.

Top Bottom