road wheel advice - about £300ish

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zizou

Veteran
Have been looking at some new wheels, had originally intended to spend about £200 but talked myself into spending £300 and getting a pair of shimano rs80.

The wheels will just be for use as the main wheels for my good bike - i dont use it for commuting and mountain biking, but basically everything else from training runs, time trials, countryside bimbles, sportives etc so need it to be quite strong rather than a dedicated pair of race wheels.

I spotted these DT Swiss hubs and rims on planet x and now i'm thinking i can convince myself that spending another £50 might be worthwhile. http://www.planet-x-...on-dt-240s-hubs However they are refered to in the description as race wheels so im not sure if they will be suitable for me.

I'm about 13 stone, wheels are about 1600 grames and have 28 spokes...will these be strong enough? Also is this a good wheelset comparable the shimano rs80s which have alot of good reviews - i cant find many reviews for the DT Swiss ones.

Thanks

Carbon

Veteran
Isn't it always the way, just an extra £50.00 and oooh I can get those ones
rolleyes.gif

I can recommend these if they're in your budget

http://www.ribblecyc...air/FULCWHFR160

Fulcrum Racing 3 - £359.00.

Had mine 12 months and do a similar sort of riding, they're v smooth, sound great and bullet proof!

PpPete

Legendary Member
A set of DT240s hubs would set you back nearly £350, the rims are £60 each. + the spokes and the build... I would say those are seriously good value.... as already mentioned in "found a bargain"

They'd be stronger than RS80s too - and IMHO far more suitable for your intended use.

But they are white ! How many times a week will you be cleaning them ?:biggrin:?

Howard

^ agree. Bargainous.

Mavic Ksyrium Equipe are also worth looking at in that price range.

I assume the RS80s you were thinking of were the carbon version?

OP
OP
zizou

zizou

Veteran
Isn't it always the way, just an extra £50.00 and oooh I can get those ones
rolleyes.gif

I can recommend these if they're in your budget

http://www.ribblecyc...air/FULCWHFR160

Fulcrum Racing 3 - £359.00.

Had mine 12 months and do a similar sort of riding, they're v smooth, sound great and bullet proof!

For some reason i thought fulcrum were only for campagnolo but seems they are the campag wheels for shimano users...hmmm another to add to the list :biggrin:

A set of DT240s hubs would set you back nearly £350, the rims are £60 each. + the spokes and the build... I would say those are seriously good value.... as already mentioned in "found a bargain"

They'd be stronger than RS80s too - and IMHO far more suitable for your intended use.

But they are white ! How many times a week will you be cleaning them ?:biggrin:?

Yeah definitely seems like good value and would feel like i'm actually saving money rather than spending £150 more than originally intended :biggrin:

^ agree. Bargainous.

Mavic Ksyrium Equipe are also worth looking at in that price range.

I assume the RS80s you were thinking of were the carbon version?

Its the carbon with alloy rim ones.

The equipe was my original first choice, until is saw the rs80...then the dt swiss :biggrin:

MrRidley

Forgive me if i'm wrong Zizou, but are you not from around the Glasgow area ? if so get yourself to Big Al's, he'll build you a set of bombproof wheels for a good price.

OP
OP
zizou

zizou

Veteran
Forgive me if i'm wrong Zizou, but are you not from around the Glasgow area ? if so get yourself to Big Al's, he'll build you a set of bombproof wheels for a good price.

Think i'll do that....bit concerned about whether 28 spokes will be robust enough for some of the roads in the Glasgow area!

Is that the place near Lennoxtown?

MrRidley

Think i'll do that....bit concerned about whether 28 spokes will be robust enough for some of the roads in the Glasgow area!

Is that the place near Lennoxtown?

Aye it's about a mile from L/Town, he's at Clachan Of Campsie, instead of turning up for the Crow rd keep going along heading for Strathblane, i got a nice 32 spoke 105 hub front wheel for £85 about 2 weeks ago, also just bought a Van Nicholas bike from him, builds great wheels just don't drink his coffee though xx(

Top Bottom