robbobike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It's been tried lots of times since the 1880's and it doesnt work. You'd need to grow an extra pair of lungs to gain any benefit.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Hilldodger is right.

Think of it this way. Power a car with a motor and batteries. Add another motor, and all that happens is that the batteries run down quicker. So you need extra batteries. In a human being, the batteries are heart and lungs, and not easy to add to.

If you want to get all over muscle exercise, that's a different issue, no reason why you shouldn't use arms and legs. But you won't perform better, you'll just spread the load over more limbs. If you have a weakness in the legs, then adding arm power might be useful, but you'll still be limited by your vital organs.

Also, I've got a feeling you've posted this here before, and got just the same advice. Or perhaps it was Velo Vision. It's a good idea to listen to the answer when you ask a question...

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Since all 3(!!) of Robbos posts have been to spam the reinvention of this 'wheel thingy', I don't expect he'll be reading the answers.
Or be with us for much longer, for that matter.

Bman

Guru
So your asking for our opinion on a type of bicycle, but you expect us to do the searching ourselves!?

Nah, I'll be ok thanks.

byegad

Legendary Member
IIRC he got a good going over on the same subject over on the BHPC forum a couple of years ago. He's really not bright enough to take it in. Don't waste your time replying.

NickM

Veteran
Hilldodger is right.
As is Arch, generally speaking*

However... in a sprint finish, or maybe when climbing a short hill, the limited-duration burst of extra anaerobic power available from using a larger muscle mass can be worth having.

Viz. the BHPC race win by Mick Crick on his homebuilt leg/arm-powered trike (the arms being used only when needed for a quick dose of extra oomph) at Lancaster this year. A very interesting machine, and an exciting climax to the race :becool:

*you know what I mean!

Top Bottom