Rockport vs Vo2 Max test

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've done the Rockport test a few times and my usual result is +/- 14mins with +/- 120bpm and then my personal parameters. My theoretical Vo2 Max as per the Rockport test is typically 42 ml/kg/min. It is quite hard to find a totally flat 1 mile strip though..... and most of the tests i've done have had a slight incline on them but no more than 2%

Anyway as i'm 50 this year my doctor said it's time for another medical and that the insurance company would pay for a full cardio test:whistle: i asked if that could be a true Vo2 max test and they agreed if i paid the difference. So this morning i flogged my guts out to get a reasonable 43.9 ml/kg/min which does at least back up that Rockport is a great guide at least !!!

It did also show how low my FTP was though:ohmy: (2.92 w/kg), i reckon i could of performed slightly better if it was in the afternoon but i stupidly booked an 8am slot:wacko:

So now it's just a case of loosing that 11kgs and improving my zone 2 performance:whistle:

Not being able to drink on such a test was a real killer i have to say, it was like my dog had slept in my mouth at the end.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
@Ridgeway What percentage of your VO2 max was your Lactate Threshold?

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

Veteran
@Ridgeway What percentage of your VO2 max was your Lactate Threshold?

sorry for the late reply.

I think i understood the question, not because it's not a clear one but more because i'm still learning about this topic.

I believe the answer is 91%, does that sound correct ?

The highest lactate value i can see on the chart i received was 12.2 mmol/L and the Vo2 max value is 91%, i assume that's the right answer ?

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
sorry for the late reply.

I think i understood the question, not because it's not a clear one but more because i'm still learning about this topic.

I believe the answer is 91%, does that sound correct ?

The highest lactate value i can see on the chart i received was 12.2 mmol/L and the Vo2 max value is 91%, i assume that's the right answer ?

Lactate Threshold is the point on the graph where it starts rising exponentially and is considered around 4.4 mol/L. 91% sounds rather high as a percentage as that is usually the level of an elite athlete with years of training.

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

Veteran
Lactate Threshold is the point on the graph where it starts rising exponentially and is considered around 4.4 mol/L. 91% sounds rather high as a percentage as that is usually the level of an elite athlete with years of training.

:laugh::laugh::laugh: no elite athlete here, so hence i may have misinterpreted the data incorrectly.

Maybe easier if i post up the chart although it's in French but i guess numbers and graphs are pretty easy to comprehend.

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

Veteran
So did another Rockport test this lunch time. Same path but of course quite a bit warmer vs last time. Today i got 43.50 ml/kg/min so a bit of an improvement vs the previous 42.0 from the beginning of the year. My HR was certainly higher but it is 26º today so that probably has an impact vs in January when it would have likely been 5-8º. Nethertheless my fitness has definitely improved since April onwards and losing 9kgs has certainly helped. Need to convince my Doc that i need another Vo2Max test:laugh: but i think this time i'd need to pay...

Top Bottom