rohan introduce cycling related clothing range

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Their bumper liner - daft name, of course you use one bum per liner! - might come in useful for those quick rides when you want padding but can't be bothered to go through the full changing rigmarole.

03288688_List.jpg

vickster

Legendary Member
Jackets look nice and I have a friend who works for Rohan...she has been telling me about the bumper liner for a while, interesting to finally see it!

I was a great fan of Rohan and wore their stuff for years.

Their "moving on" was one of the best cycle tops ever invented for touring

However they have not been competitive since some of the other companies like Craghoppers upped their game.

Mind you even then there were rivals. I used to love a company called "Troll" who made a "Bags" alternative, but with every single panel in a different colour.. including pockets and belt loops to make a unique pair of trousers.

Excellent visibility aid for cycling

I'd like to like Rohan. I had a pair of bags which were nice but didn't last and after that I never bought more Rohan stuff. People I knew used to buy it but after a few months it lost it's shape and just looked scruffy.

On top of that they have always been expensive for what they are and still are, especially as lots of other manufacturers have caught up and done better, cheaper.

I still go in the Rohan shop hoping to find something but always leave empty handed.

jay clock

Massive member
I still go in the Rohan shop hoping to find something but always leave empty handed.
Me too!! I don't mind the occasional shop where you pay top dollar but get a stunning bit of kit. With Rohan you seem to pay a mint for something which is good, but not amazing.

Example Rohan Merino l/s t shirt 150 weight £50 http://www.rohan.co.uk/Product/Detail/MensBaseLayers_02926?ocode=02926550

roughly similar from Planet x for rrp £40, currently at £20 http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/CLOOMBL190/on_one_100_merino_roundneck_base_layer_190gm

Have just received a Tenn Outdoors Blaze jacket, I have now ordered some cycling trousers. Similar quality to Rohan but much much cheaper - and 10% off at present with TENOFFTENN code

rollinstok

I remember when Rohan was a respected brand with top quality travel clothing.
With the economical situation and the constant need to remain competitive, plus the ever increasing quality of Far Eastern manufacturing, like so many other "quality" brands-their products are not much better than the budget ranges.
Its not just Rohan, I can think of Berghaus who are losing a once respected name, and Karrimor who lost it a long time ago.

Norm

I've still got, and still use regularly, plenty of Rohan kit which I bought in the early 1990s.

However, as Cunobelin says above, there are now other companies doing similar specced gear for a fraction of the price and my Craghopper Kiwis are at least as comfortable, on and off a bike, as my Bags. Even basic fleece stuff is perfectly adequate now, whereas my old Rohan fleece was close to £100 back then.

However, my snow gear is fantastically warm, relatively thin and still completely waterproof and sits happily in an old rucksack in the bottom of the wardrobe, to be dragged out and abused every 12 months.

P.H

Über Member
Me too!! I don't mind the occasional shop where you pay top dollar but get a stunning bit of kit. With Rohan you seem to pay a mint for something which is good, but not amazing.

Example Rohan Merino l/s t shirt 150 weight £50 http://www.rohan.co.uk/Product/Detail/MensBaseLayers_02926?ocode=02926550

roughly similar from Planet x for rrp £40, currently at £20 http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/CLOOMBL190/on_one_100_merino_roundneck_base_layer_190gm

I have both and it isn't the same. The four year old Rohan T still keeps it's shape after many washes and has always been comfortable. Six months ago I bought three Planet X Ts in a bundle for £70, one is really thin and a bit itchy, the short sleeve one that gets most wear has become baggy and the sleeves have shrunk on the long sleeved one. I'd have been better off buying one more Rohan (Or icebreaker, or Howies...)
I also like the Rohan trousers, though need the sale prices to tempt me, I don't tend to wear them as normal use so maybe I'm a poor judge on longevity. For touring I haven't found anything as good, my current pair (Fusion?) are the quickest drying trousers I've had, they also pack really small and they never looked creased for long. If the cycle shorts are anything like them I'll be getting a pair.

Norm

for the record they have a shop in milton keynes where they sell nds and odd samples from time to time
I used to shop in their MK store when I worked up there in Brinklow & Tongwell. Isn't their shop in Tongwell?

I preferred their store in Priory Lanes, Chi. The bossman there (Mike?) was an excellent contact, very deep product knowledge and useful recommendations - for bikes as well as clothing. :laugh:

I have a fair bit of Rohan stuff and some Craghopper stuff, although Craghopper have raised their game considerably in last couple of years I still dont think it's as good as the Rohan gear, in fact still quite a way off. However I also don't feel that the Rohan stuff quite justifies the price they charge. Almost all of the stuff i have bought has been second hand or from one of the (fairly frequent) sales.

Top Bottom