Rohloff Hub Gears

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Keith Oates

Janner
I was always under the impression that Rohloff Gears were almost non distructable providing you made the recommended oil changes. However over the weekend I was reading through some cycling sites and found an American one where some company was 'slagging off' Rohloff and talking about failures and oil coming out and covering the breaks and causing a potentially dangerous situation. I was very surprised to read this but to get to my point, is there anybody who has a Rohloff geared bike and if so are they as good and reliable as I've always been led to believe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Thorn has one and it has been fantastic, I also have one on the Catrike and in the recent weather the lack of frozen derailleurs, and ease of use in the snow made it an even better investment.

Providing you don't mind the "coffee grinder" in some gears when new then you would nitregret the investment.

Evad

Have been using a Rohloff based Thorn RT since the beginning of the year, I use it everyday to get to work regardless of weather and also did my LeJog on it in June, I've had no issues with the Hub or bike after almost 12 months and 7,500 miles. Replacing brake blocks, tensioning/lubing chain and a Rohloff oil change are the only things I've needed to do. Has needed a lot less maintenance work on my behalf then my Trek derailer bike I used in similar conditions the year before.

Top Bottom