Rollers or Turbo Trainers?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jayonabike

Powered by caffeine & whisky
What is the difference?

With winter on its way i was looking at something so i can use the bike indoors when the weather is crap. Which would be better, i just want something so i can still exercise and use the bike. I'm thinking of rollers personally but i am wondering which would be more beneficial to me?

I like the look of these:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Kreitler_Challenger_30_Rollers/5360042568/

Any good? Or am i barking up the wrong tree...

Jay

Will1985

Über Member
Depends what you're into. I have both and use both on a regular basis. In racing terms, turbos are useful for testing and structured interval sessions (TTing); while rollers are useful for cadence work and spinning the legs over (track and short road races).

Resistance does increase with speed on rollers, but nowhere near the same amount as on a turbo - it helps to use tyres with a higher rolling resistance which will also last a bit longer.

For general use if you're after up to an hour sessions to keep the legs moving and raise your heart rate, go for the rollers.

screenman

Legendary Member
Harder to fall of a turbo, I use the Cateye CS1000 and I like all the information it can give you, great for all sorts of sessions. This is my second one in about 16 years, they ride smooth and quiet, great bit of kit.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Not realy fair of me to answer and Will's had experience of both but I like the turbo. You can relax a bit on the turbo without danger of falling, you can reach out for the remote control, read a paper (!!). It's easier to do structured interval training with the easy resistance changes. I change mine using the gears rather than the turbo's resistance.

sarahpink

im thinking of getting a turbo trainer too, not sure i fancy the rollers as don't want to fall of
tongue.gif
and with my history of accidents lol. I have looked at turbo trainers but not sure what brand/make to go with? do they all do about the same job in terms of resistence, would be using it to do some interval work on.

RedBike

The moment you stop paying attention on a set of rollers you come off them. Luckily no matter how quickly you were pedalling the bike always seems to come to a stop.

In a weird way the ability to fall off is advantagous. On a turbo you can drift off into a dream world and almost stop pedalling. With a set of rollers your attention is focused and you keep pedalling.

OP
OP
jayonabike

jayonabike