Roof mounted racks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RudeNot2

Über Member
Evening all

Looking for an overall opinion (or possibly push!!) - I have the Thule roof bars on the car and am looking to get a pair of bike carriers.. The choice I am giving myself comes down to either the 530's at approx £75 for the pair or the 591's at £130. Does almost double the price mean double the quality?? If I am forking out that sort of money I would like them to be serviceable in 10 years time!!

Looking to use once or twice a month for myself getting to different areas to cycle and also when my son visits to get his bike on as well.

OR

Are there others out there that should be considered?

Cheers

RN2

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
We've never tried the 530's so can't compare, but have owned a pair of 591s for about 3 years now. I find them pretty easy to use, even though I'm short!

Baggy said:
We've never tried the 530's so can't compare, but have owned a pair of 591s for about 3 years now. I find them pretty easy to use, even though I'm short!
Our 591s are sturdily built and nothing has broken on them so far. To be honest, there isn't much to go wrong with them. The only part with any mechanical complexity is the spring loaded ratchet system which tightens up the downtube clamp and we've had no trouble with ours.

bonj2

I used to have a roof mounted one and I found it bit of an arse to get the bike up there, especially in the dark. I've now got a tow bar mounted one, it's a lot better.

Top Bottom