Roubaix SL3 or SL4 ? Can anybody compare?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
To revive this most informative thread..... in the end I bought an SL3 Comp and I've been loving it; it rides and handles like a dream. But last Friday I reached 25 years of service with my employer, who gave me a nice fat cheque so I've been hatching a plot.....

Now, the only thing I dislike about the SL3 Comp is the garish red and white colour scheme. This morning I test rode another make of carbon bike which felt okay but I know is nothing more than a Chinese generic frame painted up and branded by the seller. It was OK but when I rode home on my Roubaix I remembered why I like it so much. So now I'm thinking I might buy a 2014 SL4 Sport and swop the Ultegra kit and Ksyrium SLs over to it from my SL3 Comp, which should be straightforward. Give the SL3 frame to Gti Junior and build it up with the kit off the 2006 model.... we both get a frame upgrade... Ebay the old 2006 frame with witness cracks "as seen" - somebody will buy it. Also sell the new Tiagra and 105 kit off the Sport..... everyone's a winner!

Good wheeze?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
Well I went and did it! Been out on the SL4 and I can report that it is noticeably more efficient than the SL3, definitely stiffer in the right places and really rewards out of the saddle efforts. Comfort is the same, position is the same but it handles much more sharply thanks to the increased torsional stiffness. I took two minutes off my usual 38 minute test ride but that could be because I had a good tail wind on the flat straight outward half. Time will tell if the bike really is faster - it certainly feels it.

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
Yes I bought an SL4 Sport, which comes with the frame in tasty matt charcoal with red trim and a mix of Tiagra and 105, as well as a long-cage derailleur and an 11-30 cassette. It seemed like the cheapest way to get my hands on an SL4 frame in a colour I like; the 105/Tiagra kit has now gone onto the older SL3 along with the derailleur and the cassette so my son gets that bike with a useful climbing gear. I get the SL4, which is now mostly Ultegra equipped (swopping all the shifters etc over was an epic) and I will sell my old 2006 Roubaix to help cover the cost of the trade-up, most of which comes from the cheque my employer gave me for 25 years of faithful service!

Eventual cost of the exercise = £0.00.

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
PaulSectuer has suggested I post a few pics;

Old 2013 Roubaix SL3 Comp with Ultegra kit:

2013RoubaixWSBC605002093H_zpsb7e97b30.jpg

New 2014 Roubaix SL4 Sport now fitted with wheels and most of the Ultegra kit, awaiting new crankset:

2014RoubaixWSBC615003917I_zps21ba9fdc.jpg

Some details:

IMG-20131013-01315_zpsd0355e9f.jpg

IMG-20131013-01314_zps80f0cbae.jpg

IMG-20131013-01310_zpse7484c0d.jpg

IMG-20131011-01302_zpsf839c6be.jpg

Amack

Thanks for posting, I love looking at real life bike pics! I know a lot of people don't like the Roubaix with the zerts and sloping top but I really like your new one, I'm going to have to take a run in and see them at my LBS. What wheels are you using and have they made a big difference?

vickster

Legendary Member
Why is it that bars with black tape and black Shimano hoods always look mahooosive and out of proportion with the frame, weird!

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
The wheels are Mavic Ksyrium SLs, they are fantastic wheels, very stiff and efficient. Tyres are Michelin Pro 4s, also excellent - comfortable and durable.

Top Bottom