Route Planning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just been playing on Bikely and one or two other route planners. Is there any route planner out there that allows you to stipulate which roads you want to ignore (m-ways, trunk roads, A roads for example) short of putting in a million way points Bikely kept putting me onto the M62 :wacko:

NormanD

Lunatic Asylum Escapee
Bikehike .. just untick "Follow road" in the course creator

pshore

You want to find one that use a routing service that knows about bikes. Two that come to mind are bikeroutetoaster if you swich to OSM for routing, or CycleStreets.

Sometimes though, a computer algorithm just doesn't cut it, so as above, the ability to route manually is required.

cycleruk

What i normally do is put the route in to the aa route planner (when its working
laugh.gif
), then i use a road map and Google maps to help plan the route, makes route planing really easy and makes route planning fun as well!
biggrin.gif

pshore

Do any of them include cycle routes such as those found on the Sustrans site?

Yes, certainly the OpenStreetMap based ones. They have the data but following them is up to their algorithm.

Here's another one to try: OpenRouteService. If I remember correctly you can specify the type of bike you are on such as road bike. Same OSM data as CycleStreets but gives different answers.

(sorry about no links, I am typing on a phone)

Top Bottom