Routes around Callander

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Hi all
Will be spending the Xmas week in Callander, in Bonnie Scotland. I was wondering if there are any good routes around there (say 20 miles to 40/50 miles).

Is it worth taking a hybrid bike rather than a road bike, or even better to hire a mountain bike when I'm there? (I've found the website for Wheels Cycling Centre in Callander.)

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Its a beautiful part of the country. I've no idea about bike hire there but I've cycled a bit on my road bike there what bike you take/hire depend pretty much on your preference I think.

U

User6179

The best route about those parts imo is calander-loch katrine(along the loch is car free)-aberfoyle(over the dukes pass)and back too callander.If your on a mountain bike you can go back too callander via queen elizabeth forrest and cycle route 7 i think.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Aye the route round Loch Venachar is good, it can easily be extended to include Loch Katrine and there is a nice pub at Brig O'Turk. When the CC Central Scotland ride used the route, there were a lot of road bikes, but they all got round. If you want to go play in the Queen Elizabeth Forest, then a mountain bike would be best, there are plenty of forest trails to explore. Have fun... :smile:

OP
OP
Spinney

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Thanks all - I'll take a look at those routes.

The bike shop may be open over Xmas, but he said he won't let bikes out if they are going to get too dirty!!!

So we'll probably take the hybrids, to give us a few more options.

gavintc

Guru
I have stayed in Callander for a long weekend over Easter. The runs are good and we both enjoyed our visit. I think we rode different routes on each of 3 days. The Dukes Pass is a great short route from Callander.

Top Bottom