Routes into York from South East

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SilverSurfer

Maybe driving to York soon for work, will need to park somewhere like Askham Bar and ride in. Maybe further afield eventually, however I just need to park up and get into the centre safely without changing. Is TPT an option?

Cheers

Arch

Married to Night Train
SilverSurfer said:
Maybe driving to York soon for work, will need to park somewhere like Askham Bar and ride in. Maybe further afield eventually, however I just need to park up and get into the centre safely without changing. Is TPT an option?

Cheers

TPT?

Parking at Askham Bar and riding in is easy. You can either take the main road straight into town, or if you want a little detour, make your way back to Sim Balk Lane, and down to the traffic free track over the racecourse, and into town along the Bishopthorpe Road...

OP
OP
S

SilverSurfer

Easy is good! Is the parking free if you cycle in? How easy is it to get to Askham Bar from Leeds side at around 7am?

I saw a Sustrans route going from Copmanthorpe as well, would there be anywhere to park there?

(TPT is Trans Pennine Trail)

Many Thanks Arch.

Arch

Married to Night Train
SilverSurfer said:
Easy is good! Is the parking free if you cycle in? How easy is it to get to Askham Bar from Leeds side at around 7am?

I saw a Sustrans route going from Copmanthorpe as well, would there be anywhere to park there?

(TPT is Trans Pennine Trail)

Many Thanks Arch.

Ah, thought it might be, but don't know it well enough to know how it connects with York...

Askham Bar - I've never parked and rode (parked and rided?) from there by bike, but it's free parking and I can't see how they'd distinguish your car from people getting the bus in. Not sure about traffic into York, I'd have thought at 7am it wouldn't be too bad - and being the first park and ride spur, you don't have to trail too far round the edge of York.

Copmanthorpe - it's a little village, so there may well be on street parking - again, not something I've had to do. You could always aim for Askham Bar, anyway and then on your way home, go and check out the village. But the route into York from there is, I think, the one I suggested you could pick up by doubling back from Askham Bar and going across the race course... Whereabouts in town are you heading for? It's the nature of York and it's one way systems and cycle paths that it can be eaiser to approach some areas from certain directions... If you want any maps annotated, I could try to do them electronically :biggrin:, or send them to you on paper - PM me if you'd like me to...:sad:

Top Bottom