Rowan Atkinson at his brilliant best

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gunk

Guru
It strikes a chord with most of us

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
In drawing the thin blue line somewhere, insulting a police officer is not a crime, such charges are at the discretion of the arresting officer and should never get anywhere near the CPS lists... but threatening language to goad a reaction probably is... it requires the discriminating mind of a tolerant person to decide, PC Savage has no place in the police system but I fear he is not alone. But given the drink fuelled thuggery and the lies and deceit that police officers have to deal with, it isn't a job that can be done easily.

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Here is Rowan Atkinson talking about an amandment to an act regarding free speech. Its not funny. But it is simple and dignified. If Johnny English ever wants to become PM. I will vote for him.

View: https://youtu.be/BiqDZlAZygU

There must be some Google algorithm at work bringing that back to the the top of the pile of suggested videos - I spotted that yesterday and watched it then. (I generally agree with what he said.)

OP
OP
steveindenmark

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
In drawing the thin blue line somewhere, insulting a police officer is not a crime, such charges are at the discretion of the arresting officer and should never get anywhere near the CPS lists... but threatening language to goad a reaction probably is... it requires the discriminating mind of a tolerant person to decide, PC Savage has no place in the police system but I fear he is not alone. But given the drink fuelled thuggery and the lies and deceit that police officers have to deal with it isn't a job that can be done easily.
I have worked with police officers not a million miles from PC Savage. More than one went to prison. One of them even murdered his wife and buried her in the garden. But the majority were good people who loved the job.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
There must be some Google algorithm at work bringing that back to the the top of the pile of suggested videos - I spotted that yesterday and watched it then. (I generally agree with what he said.)
Ah but as I've pointed out to some of my 'left wing' friends supporting 'Freedom Of Speech' means you can't do anything about little Stevie Yaxley-Lennon spouting his vile crap or for that matter 'Nige' :cursing:

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
That is an old clip. While I agree with much of what he says, the problem -at least for me -is that unfortunately some speech should not be "free". The real problem is how you draw the line and define reasonable law that is harder to abuse. I most certainly question the freedom of speech to incite hatred, promote murder, encourage sexual assault and of course the old chestnut of shouting "fire" in a crowded theatre to name just a few. I'm not sure any of those should be allowed. But wait, I hear you say, "that's not what he meant!". Exactly my point. Is it always a good idea to have more speech that can insult?

On the other hand.... in the USA, there has been an uptick in hate crimes. One does have to wonder if that is related to changes in the political climate, and whether this has emboldened people to talk more about their own prejudices and consequently has given some the moral Dutch Courage to act. It makes me realize ugly undercurrents have always been there, just suppressed by de rigueur civil common decency*. Would it be better to see and address those people with those views out in the open? I'm not sure.

Lastly, I hadn't thought about PC Savage in many years. It's quite surprizing when you can remember the dialog!

*I typed this, and then realized I sounded like an authoritarian regime. Oh, the danger!

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
That is an old clip. While I agree with much of what he says, the problem -at least for me -is that unfortunately some speech should not be "free". The real problem is how you draw the line and define reasonable law that is harder to abuse. I most certainly question the freedom of speech to incite hatred, promote murder, encourage sexual assault and of course the old chestnut of shouting "fire" in a crowded theatre to name just a few. I'm not sure any of those should be allowed. But wait, I hear you say, "that's not what he meant!". Exactly my point. Is it always a good idea to have more speech that can insult?

On the other hand.... in the USA, there has been an uptick in hate crimes. One does have to wonder if that is related to changes in the political climate, and whether this has emboldened people to talk more about their own prejudices and consequently has given some the moral Dutch Courage to act. It makes me realize ugly undercurrents have always been there, just suppressed by de rigueur common decency*. Would it be better to see and address those people with those views out in the open? I'm not sure.

Lastly, I hadn't thought about PC Savage in many years. It's quite surprizing when you can remember the dialog!

*I typed this, and then realized I sounded like an authoritarian regime. Oh, the danger!
My point exactly to my 'Lefty' mates

BTW I'm a 'Lefty' but when you point out that everyone has a right to their own opinion and should have the ability to express it, however toxic it might be.

PaulB

Legendary Member
Who remembers the terrace song featuring Rowan Atkinson that tended to appear whenever West Ham were in town? It ended "Rowan, Rowan Atkinson. Rowan, Rowan Atkinson."

Anyone remember the tune?

Top Bottom