Ruck sack

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I use a ruck sack when I am going to work or doing a bit of shopping, but with this hot weather my back is wet because of the ruck sack any suggestions on which ruck sack is best to avoid the wet back problem

Regards Iain

ASC1951

Guru
You're confusing us. The thing you wear on your back is a rucksac. The only ones which will keep your back dry are those with a frame to keep it away from your body, but:-
- they are heavier and less comfortable
- they are designed for walking i.e. with an upright back, so they won't work well on a bike.

What you actually need is a rack sack i.e. a sack on a rack. Most of us call them panniers. :blush:

redjedi

Über Member
ASC1951 said:
You're confusing us. The thing you wear on your back is a rucksac. The only ones which will keep your back dry are those with a frame to keep it away from your body, but:-
- they are heavier and less comfortable
- they are designed for walking
i.e. with an upright back, so they won't work well on a bike.

What you actually need is a rack sack i.e. a sack on a rack. Most of us call them panniers. :blush:

Not if you get a Vaude rucksack.
Mine is lighter than any normal backpack I've had before. It has a mesh to keep the main bag off your back and comes with a helmet holder, light clip, water bag compartment and opening for tube and bright raincover.
It may be a derivative of a walking backpack, but it is designed for cyclistists and is very comfy on my bike.

l4dva

Guru
http://www.kathmandu.co.uk/Packs_&_Luggage/Packs/40322/Nucleon_Pack.html

I got one of these over the weekend, it dose a better job of keeping my back dry than my old rucksack as it has a vented back panel. it also has a smaller area that actually touches your back but it is still very comfortable as it has nice big belt straps too.. its 5L smaller than my old bag at 20L but I still find it more than enough for daily commute and lunch.. I pack light though...and for £35 (the guy in the shop gave me a good discount for taking out a loyalty card which was free as well) not bad at all I thinks!

It may not cure the problem fully depending on how far you cycle etc, but for me on my 7 mile commutes its managed to keep my back a lot dryer than my old rucksack.

Panniers would be the best solution but I can't be bothered with all that..

Bigtwin

I have a Berghaus daysack with their Airflow system back. Works a treat. Essentially 2" gap between back and sack. They have it on a range of sacks.

Tynan

Veteran
pannier for me and there's a fair few other storage options before a rucksack, the bike's rigid and good at carrying weight

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Having once done 50 miles with a rucksack, I vowed 'never again' and invested in some panniers. Haven't looked back (except to check for traffic)

Top Bottom