Runcorn Bridge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sillysimon10

Just a quick question this time round...

Feel a change of direction to my normal rides tomorrow, anyone cycled over Runcorn bridge? Is it safe to, or shall I avoid it?
The plan is to do a big loop from Warrington, down Warrington road into Widnes, over Runcorn bridge, northwich and back up through Stockton Heath.

May be a daft question, but everyone I know hasnt gone anywhere near it so...

Cheers!

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
I have cycled over the bridge many, many times and also crossed on the transporter bridge and the footpath at the side of the railway bridge. Sadly, the last two options have gone!
From Fiddler's Ferry Power Station, continue on towards Widnes
At the big roundabout, take the second left down Fiddler's Ferry Road
Head towards West Bank and the Catalyst Museum
At the traffic lights, turn left onto Victoria Road
After you pass the Catalyst Museum on your left, take the second right Irwell Street
Irwell Street is a dead end but there is access to a bus stop on the bridge and the shared use footpath. Yes I do realise that it is not officially shared use but has become so by usage and tradition

Psyklon

Hi Simon, as Mr. Hippo says, use the footpath on the left hand side going towards Runcorn. Don't use the road. Just watch out for pedestrians and workmen on the path and you'll be fine!

on the road

Über Member
If there's roadworks on the bridge then you can cycle in the coned off area, that's what I do. They usually cone a whole lane off so the traffic just have one lane in each direction.

Cyclist33

Where do you normally ride? Just thinking coz I only go to Widnes on the road if I have to, ie to my sister's. IMHO south and south east/south west of Warrington is where it's nicest. West is pants. (For riding.)

Stu

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
West is pants. (For riding.)
Is it? Try the following route:
From Penketh Lane Ends, take the left towards Widnes
Next rounabout, take the second exit A5080, a fairly quiet road for most of the way that will take you to Cronton.
At the lights at the Cronton Black Horse, turn right into Smithy Lane and then stop! On your left, you will see the remains of the village stocks.
Continue up Smithy Lane. As you get to the top of Smithy Lane, look to your left and you will see the remains of a 'coffin cross'; these coffin crosses date back to Norman times when the main church in the area was in Prescot and it is where the pall bearers rested the coffins and had a break before coninuing their journey on foot.The stone came from the local Pex Hill quarry
Top of Smithy Lane there is a S bend and a nicely converted barn. Hall Lane is narrow so be careful!
Once you cross the M62, there is a sharp left hander and a surprise in store! Hall Lane ends with a viscious kick up onto Mill Lane.
Left onto Mill Lane and another coffin cross, this one is sandstone from Delph Lane quarry,Whiston.There was once a park bench on the left and on a clear day you can see as far as Moel Fammau.
Take the next left onto Blundell's Lane to the crossroads with Fox's Bank Lane and turn left. There is a right hand bend towards the end of Fox's Bank Lane and to the left were green corrugated iron gates to Sunnyside nudist camp. On the right was a slag heap from Cronton Colliery. We spent many a teenage afternoon climbing the slag heap to peer into Sunnyside! Never saw anything!!!
Ay the end of Fox's Bank you can either turn left and return via Cronton or go straight over into Prescot Road and home via Hough Green.

OP
OP
Sillysimon10

Sillysimon10

Yeah I normally head out south/southeast, towards Tatton park way, and for a change I sometimes go southwest past walton down to the likes of Delamere... I tend not to 'plan' routes just go where my legs take me!!

Top Bottom