Rust

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wozza777

I forgot to add to my last thread!! I've got a little bit of rust on my falcon team banana how do I tackle it?? Can I get a touch up pen or something like this?? I'm new to all this bike repairs! Any advice would be great thanks

shadaboot27

Where exactly is the rust? Got any pictures?

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
as above, specifics help and wait for advice based on pics (and from better fetters than me) but in general: remove the rust - I get on best with wet or dry sandpaper or wire wool, taking the corroded surface back to good metal and expose a small area of clean good metal around it so you know you've cleared the problem before covering it up again, carefully fill any pits in the metal - car body filler o.n.o and smooth it off to a smooth even surface then prime, paint and lacquer.

Touch up pens are ok if the bike is a fairly standard colour - and beware of drips and over filling the brush/nib and the paint running. If you want to be absolutely precise colour wise, you'd need to go to a specific (auto) paint outlet with the bike where they will be able to colour match to the rest & blend a small pot to your requirements. more costly and you'll end up with plenty of spare paint but its down to your personal preference and if the bike is pride and joy & wanted as showroom condition or to be used and will get knocked and dinged in the course of its working life.
For some people near enough is good enough, for some, it has to be an invisible join.

OP
OP
Wozza777

Wozza777

Thanks for everyone's reply!! The rust is mainly on the rims!! They are old steel ones and I've tried to get it of but to no such luck !!???

shadaboot27

Put some WD-40 on the rust then try to remove it with some wire wool, if that doesn't work try a wire brush, if that doesn't work then you'll need new rims.

tyred

Legendary Member
Brillo pad will clean chrome rims.

Dab a little Hammerite Kurust in to anywhere the chrome is missing when you are finished.

Top Bottom