Rusted chain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I have just inherited a 20" kids bike from the neighbours , its in a sorry state but i reckon with a little patience i can get in running again but the chain has rusted solid and i cant even get the chain tool on it to try and push a link out .
Has anyone any suggestions on how to get the chain off? I am thinking of undoing the jockey wheels and just taking it out or is their a quicker more destructive way ?
TBH not even sure the rear mech works as the chain is holding it solid and at the least it will need a new chain and recableing.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Try using an appropriately sized drill bit, placing the chain on a brick or similar and knocking out the pins.

tyred

Legendary Member
Using a nut or similar set on a solid surface as a bolster, drive one of the pins out using a small drift/punch and a hammer.

The traditional way if you don't have a chain tool.

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Using a nut or similar set on a solid surface as a bolster, drive one of the pins out using a small drift/punch and a hammer.

The traditional way if you don't have a chain tool.
I have a chain tool but the chains that rusted its solid and a bit wide so i cant get the chain into the tool properly .

Top Bottom