Rusty Trek forks.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chris-s

In the middle of January we purchased a shiney new Trek 220 mtb for our lad. We went out for a ride yesterday, his second proper ride on it, and whilst hosing it down afterwards I noticed that there were rusty water marks running down eitherside from the front suspension 'fork bridge'. I'm pretty miffed at this considering it's six weeks old, been kept in a dry garage and done less than 20 miles. I cleaned it up and sprayed some GT85 round the area for now, but thats not going to be a long term fix obviously. Without closer examination, it appears to be around the 'back side' of the welds between the bridge and the forks.

This shop isn't one I normally use but was the only Trek dealer local to me and we wanted to get him a good branded bike rather than something from the likes of Halfords.

I don't know whether to treat it and paint up whats needed myself or go back and complain to the LBS, what can they practically do, are they really likely to replace the forks without a load of hassle? Is this type of wear considered acceptable? Any advice?

Chris

No one else has answered this so I'll bite -

No, I don't think it's acceptable or normal. My missus and I have both got Trek bikes, a few years old, with no rust except the odd stone chip on a steel bit. I've ridden mine in all weathers over this winter.

I don't know that particular model but In general I think they are considered decent quality kit. Sounds like a quality control failure to me, and might be a warning of future problems elsewhere on the bike if the paint finish is the same.

I would take it back to the LBS, if you don't ask you don't get. The worst outcome is they won't do anything, but a decent bike shop should be prepared to help.

snailracer

Über Member
If the rest of the bike is OK, that shows the fork has a manufacturing fault and the rust is not down to abuse on your part.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
+1 Trek have a great reputation and this is completely unacceptable!

No one else has answered this so I'll bite -

No, I don't think it's acceptable or normal. My missus and I have both got Trek bikes, a few years old, with no rust except the odd stone chip on a steel bit. I've ridden mine in all weathers over this winter.

I don't know that particular model but In general I think they are considered decent quality kit. Sounds like a quality control failure to me, and might be a warning of future problems elsewhere on the bike if the paint finish is the same.

I would take it back to the LBS, if you don't ask you don't get. The worst outcome is they won't do anything, but a decent bike shop should be prepared to help.

OP
OP
C

chris-s

Thanks for the replies. After cleaning it up at the weekend, I shall give it a few more days to re-appear like rust does and take it in to the shop for a friendly chat and see what they have to say.

Chris

Top Bottom