SA 4 speed hub

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Hi
Is it possible to use a SA 4 speed hub with a 3 speed shifter? That until I find a 4.
Thanks
I'd say No. Second on a three speed hub is direct drive, with correct adjustment for selection of first and third either side.

There is this one
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/185010862624?hash=item2b1381ba20:g:L0QAAOSwWdZhIfVS

Chris S

Legendary Member
My old Raleigh has a 4 speed trigger on a 3 speed hub
Which gear position was redundant , 1st or 4th?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I'd say No. Second on a three speed hub is direct drive, with correct adjustment for selection of first and third either side.
That's almost correct: second is direct drive but with correct adjustment so the shoulder of the shift rod is level with the axle end, then first is 4.7mm tighter, and third is 9.5mm looser on the shifter but basically slack cable. As long as the second-to-first pull is near enough, any shifter that slackens far enough will select third. In theory, a SRAM 7-speed indexed shifter will do it (pulling 4.5mm each click), with 3 or 4 positions at one end unused, but who knows why anyone ever would! I don't know what the pulls are on SA 4-speed shifters.

classic33

Leg End Member
That's almost correct: second is direct drive but with correct adjustment so the shoulder of the shift rod is level with the axle end, then first is 4.7mm tighter, and third is 9.5mm looser on the shifter but basically slack cable. As long as the second-to-first pull is near enough, any shifter that slackens far enough will select third. In theory, a SRAM 7-speed indexed shifter will do it (pulling 4.5mm each click), with 3 or 4 positions at one end unused, but who knows why anyone ever would! I don't know what the pulls are on SA 4-speed shifters.
Slaken too much, you'll not take up that slack to get first and second.

Top Bottom