Sabbath AR1

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lane

Veteran
Another happy Elan owner here. I went for a triple with nice low gears but it did mean I couldn't have the hydraulic brakes. I would get Spa to build some wheels mine have been excellent and didn't add much cost. Tubeless rims so you have the choice. I run 32mm tubeless.

lane

Veteran
Btw I do use my Elan for credit card tours and it's great for that.

OP
OP
middleagecyclist

middleagecyclist

Call me MAC
Another happy Elan owner here. I went for a triple with nice low gears but it did mean I couldn't have the hydraulic brakes. I would get Spa to build some wheels mine have been excellent and didn't add much cost. Tubeless rims so you have the choice. I run 32mm tubeless.
I liked the hydraulic discs today. Only used similar on a MTB before and have a hybrid disc system on another bike. I normally ride a triple with rim brakes but a compact with 40t on the cassette allows low gearing and a full hydraulic brake system. As the main reason for the new bike is better wet braking with a Ti frame being a bonus i feel this is the right choice for me. Unless someone has horror stories about using a big cassette with a compact?

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I liked the hydraulic discs today. Only used similar on a MTB before and have a hybrid disc system on another bike. I normally ride a triple with rim brakes but a compact with 40t on the cassette allows low gearing and a full hydraulic brake system. As the main reason for the new bike is better wet braking with a Ti frame being a bonus i feel this is the right choice for me. Unless someone has horror stories about using a big cassette with a compact?
I've got 40t with a compact and haven't had any issues. And, believe me, I've been on the 40t quite a lot over the last 2 weeks.

OP
OP
middleagecyclist

middleagecyclist

Call me MAC
Got the new bike today. She is nice...
20190905_162817.jpg

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Lurverly, do report back on your honeymoon rides

pgamble

Regular
Got the new bike today. She is nice... View attachment 483722

Beautiful. Was so sad that Sabbath closed their doors and sold to Spa, but great to see people still buying from them.
Mine must be 4 years old now and is ridden most weeks. I still adore it. Spec is 6800 Ultegra all round inc RS685 hydraulic brakes, Hope4 red hubs, RT86 Icetech 160mm disks, Prologo Spark 2 saddle, ProLT stem, handlebars and tape, Stans NoTubes ZTR Grail rims, continental travel contact 37c tyres, Hope red QR levers, Kinesis CXD tapered fork and Shimano XT MX8000 SPDs. I’ve just had the BB switched over to matching red Hope as well.
She’s taken me across canal paths and woods and has kept me safe at 46mph on road.

I still think it’s the best looking bike on the road. I’ve just got a 27.5 Trance Advanced for the bouncy stuff but those longer rides will always be with the AR-1.

Hope you’re enjoying.

Paul

vickster

Legendary Member
Beautiful. Was so sad that Sabbath closed their doors and sold to Spa, but great to see people still buying from them.
Mine must be 4 years old now and is ridden most weeks. I still adore it. Spec is 6800 Ultegra all round inc RS685 hydraulic brakes, Hope4 red hubs, RT86 Icetech 160mm disks, Prologo Spark 2 saddle, ProLT stem, handlebars and tape, Stans NoTubes ZTR Grail rims, continental travel contact 37c tyres, Hope red QR levers, Kinesis CXD tapered fork and Shimano XT MX8000 SPDs. I’ve just had the BB switched over to matching red Hope as well.
She’s taken me across canal paths and woods and has kept me safe at 46mph on road.

I still think it’s the best looking bike on the road. I’ve just got a 27.5 Trance Advanced for the bouncy stuff but those longer rides will always be with the AR-1.

Hope you’re enjoying.

Paul
Think he actually bought the Elan?

lane

Veteran
I originally went for 35mm and it was fine. But I found the 35mm marathon supreme tyres slow. Don't know if it was the width of tyres or both. So now run GP5000TL which I really like 32mm.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Have any of you tried 35 or 37 mm tyres in your Elan's?
I've tried 37mm Vittoria Voyager Hypers (no longer available unfortunatly) and they fit easily under the mudguards as supplied & fitted by Spa. No problems, nice & comfortable, but I've stuck with the 32mm versions for now.

Top Bottom